Monday, October 19, 2009

Hinton Sibling Reunion

We had a nice time at the Hinton sibling reunion near Hollbrook, Arizona in the White Mountains this weekend. We left on Thursday morning and got home on Saturday night. We went in a van with two of Ken's brothers, Don and Ada and Dave and Gerri. All eight couples were there. We stayed in a cabin/lodge owned by people in Rick and Sherrie's stake. It was a lovely seven bedroom home. It was very nice. We had a good time. We visited, ate good food, watched movies, ate, had a talent show and ate, and ate. The highlight for me was going to the Snowflake, AZ temple on Saturday. It was nice to all be in the temple together. I'm sure Grandma and Grandpa were smiling down on us. I lied . . .the highlight was listening to the BYU game on the way home. We called Lu at Flagstaff, saying we couldn't get the game and asking what was happening. She kept us informed until just after Flagstaff when we finally got reception on KSL.I use the term "reception" loosely. We could mostly hear the game across the Indian reservation. We would be hearing just fine, then suddenly Greg Wrubell and Mark Lyons would be joined by a "band" playing on another station. They sounded a lot like Shonna's 6th grade band concerts (sorry, Shonna) I wondered how they got on the radio. Then they'd fade and we'd get Hy ya ya ya! HY ya ya ya! stuff. It sounded like an Indian pow wow. Then that would fade and we'd get some lady singing at the top of her lungs in Spanish. I grew to hate her. But when it got really bad, I'd call Lu and she'd clarify what had just happened. BYU kicked the last field goal while we waited in the car (before going in to go potty) at Jacob's Lake Lodge. Whew! Blessed relief! (on both the Cougars and the potty)

3 comments:

Joan Morris said...

Sounds like a great reunion. So nice that you could find a date that you could all be together. I know what you mean about trying to find KSL on the radio. We can get it pretty clearly at night, but in the day it is a different story.

Michelle said...

Tee hee! Love it. It looks like you had a great time! It's fun for me to see the pictures of all of my Aunts and Uncles b/c I haven't seen a lot of them for awhile. What wonderful people.

Shonna said...

I'm so glad you guys do that reunion! I agree with Melli, it's been a while so it's fun to see everyone. Oh, and I thought my band was pretty much amazing (back then). ;)