Friday, October 23, 2009

Halloween Soup

Our family tradition for Halloween is to have this soup with pumpkin bread or pumpkin muffins. It is a recipe that has evolved over the years, but one that I've made literally since the beginning of our marriage- probably the only one that I still make. I just kind of throw it together- no measuring, but this is my best guess: ½ lb. Hamburger, cooked with 1 chopped onion Put drained meat and onion in a crockpot with: 2 cans diced tomatoes 2 T.Better Than Bullion in 4 cups hot water (beef and can add ham flavored) Put whatever of the following you want: 1 cup Carrots- chopped, 1 cup potatoes-diced,1yellow squash-chopped,2 ribs celery w/tops-chopped,1/4 head cabbage-chopped fine, seasoning salt to taste, 3 T. sugar, salt and pepper,1 bay leaf,1/2tsp basil,1/2tsp thyme, Mrs. Dash, Mrs. Dash w/ garlic, v-8, Add later: can of green beans, can of corn, pearl barley or rice

5 comments:

Shonna said...

Love this soup! Love the tradition.

sara cardon said...

I really like the idea of having a traditional Halloween meal-- especially one that's so healthy and full of vegetables before your kids go overdose on sugar. I may start a new family radition!! Thanks for sharing!!

Kristen Mackrory said...

I love it too!! Do we get to have it this year?

Blake said...

I love this soup! Thanks for starting such a wonderful tradition. So many veggies in one meal is like a bowl full of paradise. :)

Joan Morris said...

Looks delish!!