Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Glass Castle

The Glass Castle: A Memoir The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls

My rating: 5 of 5 stars If someone had told me what this book was about before I read it, I probably wouldn't have read it. So why did I even finish it, let alone give it a five-star rating? Hmmm. . . good question. I think it's because of Jeanette's indominitable spirit- her love of her parents despite their weaknesses, her desire for family love and solidarity. It gives us a look into a dysfunctional family, and lets us see that everyone longs for family and love and goodness in their lives. We have two irresponsible, nomadic, selfish parents, who neglect their children, not providing for them the basic neccesities of life. And yet, as you read, you realize how much Jeanette loved and loves them. She has risen from the ashes of her childhood to give us this amazing story. It made me grateful for my childhood, and made me wonder why I haven't accomplished more. I recently saw, near my home, a mountain goat on the top of a sheer cliff. No way . .. how did he get up there? But there he was. Jeanette's father's pet name for her was "Mountain Goat." She couldn't have a more appropriate nickname. No way she is where she is, considering where she came from . .. and yet, there she is. That is inspiring. View all my reviews >>

No comments: