Friday, August 27, 2021

The Burden of Ownership Weighs Heavy on Me


 This mantra comes from one of my daughter, Kristen's friends. She said it to Kristen and Kristen told me.  It gave me chills;  it rang true.

 Stuff!  It can be quite a burden.  I remember years ago my sister, Patty expressing these same sentiments:  stuff is a burden.  It requires space, thought, upkeep, etc.  It burdens your mind even though you don't realize it.  I notice that the more I get rid of, the happier I am.

I really learned how little you actually need when we were on our mission in Japan.  I had a limited number of clothes, room, kitchen supplies, and other things.  For instance, I had one mixing bowl.  Just one.  I would just wash it out and use it again.  And it was plenty.  I loved having less stuff.  I was overwhelmed when I got home with all of the clothes, kitchen stuff, well, all stuff.  I really am trying to get rid of extra stuff and ease my burden.  I feel the weight gradually being lifted.  We have given or thrown boxes and boxes and boxes of stuff away.

I see people with entire garages or storage rooms stuffed with boxes and piles of stuff.  That weighs so very heavy.   


Another way to say it:  What you own ends up owning you.  
That's my suggestion for a mantra:  Recognize the burden of ownership.  Lift that burden by getting rid of stuff.

No comments: