Wednesday, January 22, 2020

I Will Look Up

I love this mantra! I was reading in a book by Sterling W. Sill.  He points out that four-legged creatures are designed to look down,
but we two-legged animals are designed to look up.
  There have been several talks in general conference encouraging us to look up. One of those was
"It is Better to Look Up" by Carl B Cook in October conference of 2010.


You may remember the story he told to introduce that talk:
"At the end of a particularly tiring day toward the end of my first week as a General Authority, my briefcase was overloaded and my mind was preoccupied with the question “How can I possibly do this?” I left the office of the Seventy and entered the elevator of the Church Administration Building. As the elevator descended, my head was down and I stared blankly at the floor.
The door opened and someone entered, but I didn’t look up. As the door closed, I heard someone ask, “What are you looking at down there?” I recognized that voice—it was President Thomas S. Monson.
I quickly looked up and responded, “Oh, nothing.” (I’m sure that clever response inspired confidence in my abilities!)
But he had seen my subdued countenance and my heavy briefcase. He smiled and lovingly suggested, while pointing heavenward, “It is better to look up!” As we traveled down one more level, he cheerfully explained that he was on his way to the temple. When he bid me farewell, his parting glance spoke again to my heart, “Now, remember, it is better to look up.”

I know I learned this lesson when visiting Europe.  If you don't look up in Europe, you miss half the beauty.  
So there is a mantra for you:  I will look up.  I will look to the source of hope and light. I will not miss the beauty.

To view other possible mantras, click here.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I love this! Interesting about the four-legged animals versus two. I had not heard that before. Thanks for the reminder!

Joan Morris said...

Love this!