Monday, January 13, 2020

2019 Books

I love to read. 2019 was a great year for reading. According to goodreads.com (my favorite website), I read 8,155 pages during the year.  But goodreads says I only read 28 books.  That is because some of the books I read aren't on goodreads. So I read more pages than that.
According to my records, I read 32 books in 2019.  19 of them were fiction and 13 of them were non-fiction.  Here is a list of the books I read during the year.  I have reviewed all of them on this blog if you are interested in learning more about them.  In no particular order:
Fiction
Ladies' Night by Mary Kay Andrews
Mr. Terupt Falls Again  by Rob Buyea
Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald
Restart by Gordon Korman
Good Hope Road by Lisa Wingate
A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
Tending Roses by Lisa Wingate
The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
Hidden Among the Stars by Melanie Dobson
The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa
The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
The Woman Who Walked in Sunshine by Alexander McCall Smith
Grey Mountain by John Grisham
Bob by Wendy Mass
The Chilbury Ladies Choir by Jennifer Ryan
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill
Good Man, Dalton  by Karen McQuestion

Non-Fiction
I Will Lead You Along: The Life of Henry B Eyering by Robert Eaton
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
Making Room Soul and Style by Lucy Bowman
Making the Most of Yourself by Sterling W Sill
The Life of Paul by Benjamin Willard Robinson
Far From the Cactus Flat by Lyman Hafen
Aunt Nedra's Autobiography by Nedra Bedke
Hank Ombach's Autobiography by Hank Ombach
Ancestors by Jim Hinton
The Lincoln Hypothesis by Timothy Ballard
Educated by Tara Westover
Beyond Band of Brothers by Dick Winters
The Simple Faith of Mister Rogers:  Spiritual Insights from the World's Most Beloved Neighbor by Amy Hollingsworth

I was going to list them in the order I liked them the best, but that is just too hard. I can't.  Though it is pretty easy to choose the ones I liked least and the ones I liked best in each category.

Let's start with the worst:  My two least favorite were Beyond Band of Brothers in non-fiction and, in fiction, The Bookshop.

In fiction, I think my favorite was Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine.  For me, a book is really good if it is well-written and if it makes me want to be better and do better.  This book was so well-written.  It borders on genius how the story unfolds little by little, coming to a bright conclusion.  The story is so memorable and truly makes me want to love people more and judge them less.

Non-fiction is harder to choose.  Hank Ombach's biography is so inspiring and, again, makes me want to do and be better.  I also loved Henry B Eyering's autobiography for the same reasons.  But I think my favorite of the year was Educated.  It is a well-written journey of a woman's life.  It is inspiring and again, makes me want to do and be better.

2019 was a marvelous year for reading.  I look forward to 2020.  I have compiled my list of books I hope to read during the year (though I am constantly adding to it.)  I have purchased many of them and love to see them lined up on my bookshelf, waiting for me to dive in.  Following my father's example, I like to always be reading two books: one fiction and one non-fiction. I try to read from both at least a little bit every day.  Reading is a big part of my life.  Happy reading in 2020!!

No comments: