Saturday, October 6, 2018

Personal Progress- Virtue

The value of "Virtue" was added to the young women list of values since I last earned the personal progress award.  To earn this value ribbon, you must do four required value experiences, read the entire Book of Mormon, and record your testimony of The Book of Mormon.  It differs from the other value challenges, as everyone does the same four experiences and everyone reads the Book of Mormon for the ten hour project.  
I have read this book many times in its entirety.  My husband and I read from it every day.  When we finish it, we start again.  We have done that for many, many years.  I do not know how many times I have read it.  I know it is true and the most correct book on earth.  I want to record my testimony about when I first received a testimony of this sacred book:
Many years ago, when I was a young mother- nursing my youngest daughter- I read the Book of Mormon in about six weeks.  I was serving as spiritual living teacher in Relief Society at the time.  I saw that the lesson I would teach in a couple of months was on the Book of Mormon.  I realized that though  I believed the Book of Mormon was true, I didn't know it was.  So I set the goal to read it in its entirety before I stood before the sisters, so that I could bear a sure witness.  I expected to read the book, pray about it, then receive the witness as Moroni promised.  But my experience was different from that:  each time I read from the book, I was filled with the spirit and I knew it was true.  It was a feeling of great joy.  To this day, I can vividly remember sitting in the od wooden rocking chair in Michelle's room, reading as I nursed her.  Tears streamed down my face as the spirit bore witness of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon.
Just tonight (October 5, 2018) in the women's session of conference, President Russell M Nelson challenged us to read the Book of Mormon before the end of the year, almost as quickly as I did so many years ago.  I pray I will have as wonderful experience as I did then.  He promised us the heavens will open if we accept and act upon his challenge.  I know the Book of Mormon is true.
I testify of that in the name of my Savior, Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

Oh Kay, thank you so much for sharing your beautiful experience and sacred testimony! I love you so much and I love your sweet way of expressing yourself!

Joan Morris said...

Love this! and you!