Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Cancer

I have had a scary few months.  I had an annual mammogram in July, revealing suspicious cells.  I had to go back for another mammogram, then a needle biopsy.  The needle biopsy showed I had pre-cancerous cells that needed to come out.  So I had a lumpectomy a couple of weeks ago.  The pathology report revealed that it, indeed, was pre-cancer, or DCIS, but that the cells were out further than they thought. It is pre-cancer because it has not spread.  It is contained within the ducts. We caught it early.  So yesterday morning, I went back for more surgery to create a larger margin.  After I heal, I will have five weeks of daily radiation treatments.
Those are the facts.  There, of course, has been a lot of emotion with all of this.  This isn't an easy thing to go through.  Nor is it an easy thing to write about.  I may get there- where I can write more detail and emotion.  I am grateful beyond words for your prayers.  I can feel them.  We are also grateful for good medical care and for the diagnosis.  It could be much, much worse.
Before the last surgery

Beautiful plant basket from my siblings. This meant so much to me.

Flowers from a family in the ward.

Joan sent me this picture just before my surgery.  I love it.  We are never alone.
Because of all this, I am woefully behind on this blog.  I am determined to catch up.  I will keep plugging along, even though I may be reporting on things that happened months ago, and the posts may not be in order. Thank you again for your love and prayers.

2 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

You tell your story well! I am so sorry that you have had to go thru this but I am glad that the prognosis is so good! I love you Kay!

Joan Morris said...

So weird that we have had such similar experiences. Keep healing and know that you are loved and prayed for.