Friday, February 16, 2018

New Callings

On the plane ride home from Japan, I asked Ken what calling he would like to have next.  His answer was, "I have always wanted to be the finance clerk in the ward."  Ken has served most of our married life in priesthood leadership callings.  He had a short stint as a cub master and, just before our mission, as a Gospel Doctrine teacher.  But other than that, he has always been in priesthood leadership.  Being a clerk sounded just perfect for him.  He then asked me the same question.  My answer?  I don't want to be put out to pasture and I want to teach adults.

Very shortly after we got home, Ken was called as the ward finance clerk.  The bishop later told us the story.  He had gone to the temple to ponder about who should serve as the young women president.  As he was leaving, he felt the strong impression that Ken should be a ward financial clerk.
My calling came a few weeks later- after that young women presidency was reorganized.  I was called to be Laurel advisor.  That is definitely not in any pasture, and it is teaching, and they are almost adults.  Perfect.

So that's where we have served for the last six months or so.  It was almost like, "Thank you for your missionary service.  Here is your reward."  But, the party is over, I guess.  Ken, just before Christmas was called back into Priesthood leadership as the first counselor in the high priest group leadership.  He is excited to work with a long-time friend, Don Steck.  Then, just a couple of weeks ago, my calling was changed to 1st counselor in the young women presidency.  At first I didn't think it would be that much of a change, but I'm finding it is- a whole new learning curve and a lot more time and responsibility.  But that's okay.  We are both happy to serve wherever called.

We had fallen into the habit of watching a movie or show on Netflix most evenings.  But now with me having Young Women activities every Tuesday evening and he having high priest leadership meetings and visits every Wednesday and serving in the temple on Thursdays, we are watching less movies.  But again, that is okay.  We are grateful to serve and happy we're not in a pasture somewhere!




3 comments:

Joan Morris said...

Definitely not in a pasture! I'm sure the YW love you. You will be an amazing YW leader and Ken, as always, as a clerk or HP counselor, or whatever ;)

Pal & Hatty said...

You and Ken will be awesome doing any calling! The High Priests and Young Women are lucky to have you!! Coming home from a mission there is alwlays that anticipation of what will come next and you two have the perfect attitude toward service!!

Pam said...

They'll never put you two out to pasture! Yo each have so much to give and share! Cute post!