Monday, February 3, 2014

Gathering Blue

Gathering Blue (The Giver, #2)Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


If you're looking for a sequel to "The Giver," you'll be disappointed in this book. I think this book is the author's imagination of another controlled society- an alternative to the one in The Giver. I'm going to display my imagination now. Here's what I think happens: I think Mrs. Lowry ponders and then writes a list of the characteristics she values in herself and in a society. Then, she writes a book, creating a society in which those values are void. In so doing, she helps us recognize how important those characteristics are. At least that's what reading her books did for me. The characteristics lacking in this society that I now value more highly: Charity, Kindness, Valuing people for who they are and not for what they look like or for what they can contribute to a society, and maybe most important- the value of education. Is that the author's thought process? I have no idea. But she seems to encourage the reader to use their imaginations, so I did. I used mine on her. To really get the conclusion to this book, you should read "Messenger".



View all my reviews

No comments: