Sunday, February 16, 2014

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (Logans, #4)Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I just listened to this powerful book on a road trip. I first read it years ago, and couldn't remember the details- only the emotions I felt when I read it. For a girl from Idaho, it was eye-opening to first read the stink of racial prejudice. Hearing it again brought back those feelings and sadness. At the end of the book on the recorded version, Mildred Taylor speaks to the reader, explaining that the stories told in the book were true- That the Logan family was her grandparents' family. She heard all of the stories from her father- one of the children in the book. That makes it even more powerful to me. Though the book deservedly won the Newberry Award for being the most distinguished contribution to children's literature in 1977, I think it's more appropriate reading for a young adult or adult. It may be too much for a sensitive and protected child.



View all my reviews

No comments: