Friday, February 28, 2014

Sacred Gifts

I had the privilege of attending the BYU Museum of Art's Exhibition: Sacred Gifts last Saturday.  It was a sacred privilege to view these most beautiful, priceless paintings.  As one of the lenders said in essence- These paintings have never been loaned before and I don't think they ever will be again.  We feel a connection with the people of Utah because they love Christ.
 The app for iphone or ipad is wonderful if you didn't get to go to the exhibit.  It is free and can be found in the itunes store. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sacred-gifts-brigham-young/id723165787?mt=8.  I recommend you download it and listen to the beautiful summaries of each painting and enjoy the exhibit.

Here are some of the famous paintings I got to view:
This one by Hoffman was probably my favorite.  It is President Monson's favorite and he has it hanging on his wall.  I have one by another painter on my wall that my sister, Patty found. Jesus' face looks very similar to this one in that painting.  Hoffman said he didn't want to sell it.  He liked it above his bed where each day he would give an accounting of his actions of the day.

This painting just IS the Sermon on the Mount.  Ever since I was young, this is the picture the teacher would hold up when teaching the sermon on the mount.  I got to see it in real life!!!  Yes, you can touch me.

This is also one I grew up seeing . . . and feeling.

This picture doesn't do it justice, but this was a powerful grouping of actually five paintings.  In the center is Jesus Christ in the red robe with a crown of thorns.  The mobs are represented on the left and right of him.  On the far left is the young virgin Mary.  On the far right, the saddened, older Mary, mother of Jesus.  I wept when I thought what she went through as I viewed her sad eyes and line-worn face.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  This one is worth at least that.  It teaches so powerfully "pride."

Another of Hoffman's- the young Jesus teaching in the temple.  Hoffman's face of Jesus is consistent.  When asked who he used for a model of the Savior, he said he closed his eyes and could just see Him and painted from that image.  
I took with me to this exhibit a young, teen-aged friend who is struggling right now.  I wanted her to feel the love of the Savior by viewing these paintings.  I don't know if it did that for her (I continue to pray for her), but it certainly did that for me.  He is my Joy, my Exampler, my Healer, my Comforter, my Leader, my Redeemer, my Savior, and my Friend. In His name, I testify that He lives.  Amen.

1 comment:

Ada said...

Thanks so much for your rendition of your experience and your testimony! We saw the exhibit on Feb. 27th and had some of the same feelings hit us. I, too, think my favorite is the same one you chose. But we probably saw 4 different ones than you did and didn't see 4 of the ones you did. The healing of the blind man and the Sermon on the Mount I can't remember. Maybe it's my memory---and maybe they are two that were switched out?