Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Flower Spoon

I don’t know where it came from; nor do I know where it’s gone. But, for a few years the flower spoon reigned supreme at our house. Every cereal breakfast started not with a prayer of thanks but with a child shouting, “I get the flower spoon.” Which, of course, was followed with a “No, You got it yesterday.” Every macaroni and cheese lunch: same story. Every soup dinner: well, you get the picture. I never figured out why the flower spoon was so much better than our pretty, matching silverware. But maybe it was it’s uniqueness that gave it it’s value. Hmmmm . . . . maybe there a life lesson there. . . .but whatever it was, it was a serious source of contention in our home for several years. It’s long since disappeared, but it’s memory – like it’s rose- is forever engraved in our family history. I somehow feel it’s found a place in another home where at this very minute a child is shouting, “I get the flower spoon!”

6 comments:

Brian said...

Not to revive an old source of contention, but the flower spoon was apparently claimed by Michelle and has its home in our non-matching spoon set!

Kay Hinton said...

Oh, that's hilarious! I didn't know Michelle had it! The rest of the story . . .

Pal & Hatty said...

I love that story - and if Michelle has it now I have a feeling that it isn't over!

Shonna said...

Hey! It's my turn for the flower spoon!!! ;)

Joan Morris said...

I think that spoon came from Mom and Dad's house. It looks very familiar.

Jessica said...

Cute story!