Thursday, January 20, 2011

Carl Bloch Exhibit

On the way up to the funeral last week, Ken and I stopped in Provo to visit the BYU Museum of Art to view the Carl Bloch exhibit. The museum borrowed four altar piece paintings from Lutheran churches in Denmark. They also have a room full of smaller Bloch paintings, plus prints of some of his famous series of the life of Christ. I've grown up viewing his paintings at church and in church magazines, etc, not knowing who the painter was. It was a moving experience to view these paintings and to contemplate and meditate on the life of Christ. Since none of my children and their spouses will be able to view the exhibit, I'm putting them on my blog for them to see, as well as anyone else who is interested. It's not the same as seeing the huge paintings in person, of course, but it will give you a taste of this magnificent exhibit.
This painting is owned by the BYU Museum of Art. Christ healing at the waters of Bethesda. ( Thinking about each of the people in this painting again made me realize that we all need Christ to heal us and He will.)
Christ with the innocent child. (It seems as if Christ is admonishing and inviting us to be like a child.)
Come unto Me. ( I loved looking into each of the faces in this painting and contemplating how everyone - even the skeptical as represented my the man under the Savior's left arm- is loved by the Savior. The child on his right looking at us was modeled by one of Bloch's many children.)
Doubting Thomas (Thomas feels so ashamed that he doubted. How often I feel ashamed at doubting my Savior and that He knows what's best for me and for those I love.)
This was my favorite of the prints. I love the absolute joy of Elizabeth as she greets Mary. I can only imagine how these two felt as they saw each other.
This was my favorite of the altar pieces. The angel came to comfort the Savior in His darkest hour in the Garden of Gethsemane. (I sat in front of this painting for a very long time with tears streaming down my face. I felt ashamed for causing my Savior pain and suffering. I felt unspeakable gratitude for Him being willing to do that for me.)

8 comments:

Joan Morris said...

Thanks for the review. I love reading your thoughts on each of the paintings. I can't wait to see the exhibit.

Ming said...

I was able to see these when I was in Utah for Christmas and they really are amazing. Thanks for sharing your insights.

sara cardon said...

Wow! Such beautiful artwork! Now I'm sad I picked the "IKEA" door instead of the "BYU MOA" door 2 weekends ago...

Jessica said...

Thanks for sharing those and for your comments. I love the first one and have seen it at the MOA but now I want to see the rest of them.

Pal & Hatty said...

What a powerful exhibit it is! You have captured so much of what I saw and felt - your comments are very insightful!

buddy said...

Kay,
He IS amazing. One of Ali's favorite is the pool of Bethesda. Justin got her a framed print of that many babies ago and it has hung in their home forever ever since. It is a beautiful painting with an amazing multiple layered message for each of us. Thank you for your thoughts and ideas. Love you lots and lots,
Cindy

buddy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen Mackrory said...

That was so touching. Thank you for sharing Mom. I LOVE the one of Mary and Elizabeth. It brought tears to my eyes...two very special women rejoicing with, loving and supporting one another. I loved your comments with each painting. It helped me to see them differently than I would have. Thanks for your insight.