Sunday, January 23, 2011

Winter Getaway

Ken audits a little town called Tropic, so each year at this time he needs to go up there to present the audit to their town council. So, I cancel my Thursday voice lessons, and we go up and spend a night away in Ruby's Inn where we honeymooned over 30 years ago. It is right at the mouth of Bryce Canyon. It is gorgeous and peaceful up there in the winter, with few other travelers. They have a magnificent steak house/ restaurant at Ruby's Inn. I can't tell you how good their ribeye is with gorganzola portabellas on top. Ken even talked them into giving him the recipe for the rub they put on the steaks. We'll try it, and if it's as good as theirs, we'll post the recipe on Hungry Hintons. I left Ken to pay the bill and wandered into the gift shop. He didn't come and didn't come. I finally went back and found him writing down the recipe as they dictated it to him. How he talked them into that, I'll never know.
We also enjoy swimming in their indoor pool with huge glass windows looking out on the snow and cold. It is really a fun work getaway that we look forward to every year.
I'm still camera-less (and am developing a tic from having no camera), but Ken took this one his iphone at breakfast.

9 comments:

Joan Morris said...

What a fun trip. I want to try the steak with portabello mushrooms and gorgonzola cheese. YUM!

Pam said...

There is just something so appealing about the idea of going to stay at Ruby's Inn in the winter. I love that restaurant and I'll bet it is so beautiful looking out on all of that snow. I'm eager to get that steak rub recipe!

Shonna said...

That meal sounds amazing!!! I would love some mushrooms and steak right now. btw, I finally posted.

James and Tricia Thomas said...

That is exciting!! That food sounds amazing!

Michelle said...

Hooray for get-aways! That sounds wonderful.

Ming said...

"developing a tic from having no camera" haha, you make me laugh. Thank you. :)

sara cardon said...

That getaway sounds like just the ticket!! Maybe I can talk Whitney into coming down for a babysitting trip and Jon and I can go check it out for our second honeymoon.:)

Pal & Hatty said...

It sounds like you had a great trip and a delicious meal! What a romantic tradition to go back to where you honeymooned!

Jessica said...

What a nice little getaway! That food sounds delicious!!