Monday, January 17, 2011

Alvin Gabrielsen Memorial Service

My uncle, Alvin Gabrielsen passed away so we attended his memorial services in Ogden and Logan this past weekend. Friday evening was a viewing, but really what it was was a happy family reunion. It was a packed happy "party" in that small Relief Society room. Of course, there were many friends and ward members going through a very long line, and the rest of us mingling and renewing family ties. It was pointed out by my cousin that every cousin but one was there. In my Dad's family, there were four siblings: Dad, Alvin, Ronald, and Nedra. Each of them had five children, so there are 20 cousins. Every one of them was there except Bryce who lives in Indiana. Every one. Now that's pretty amazing. It was good to see everyone and feel their testimonies and feel the bond of family. It was a joy to gather together and reunite as family. I admit, it was a joy I didn't expect. I was excited to see my siblings and to be together with them, but I was overwhelmed with joy at the entire family being together. After the viewing and family prayer, our family - my siblings and spouses- went for a quick bite to eat together before the Boise/Caldwell people had to head home late into the night. What a fun bunch. Saturday morning, was the graveside service in Logan. We arrived quite early, so went to Bluebird chocolates and went to see my grandma's house and the temple= traditions! The graveside service was short and so nice. They had military honors with taps. As they brought the casket, and taps were played, the skies opened up with sleet pouring= the heavens wept. It came down quite hard during that moving ceremony. Then, it cleared back up. I have this vivid picture of that young man playing taps with the military in uniform in front with the heavens weeping streaks of sleet. It created deep emotion. Then my cousin Ellen- Alvin's youngest daughter gave a wonderful, short talk on the plan of salvation and how she and her parents had read "Jesus the Christ" together when she was in high school and how she had developed her testimony of Him then. The grave was dedicated, and then we did a "cousin" picture. By then, John, Joan and David and still Bryce were missing, but it's pretty complete. We included Grace, Nedra and Ron in it, too. Patty, Pam and us then went over to pay respects to our parents grave. It was nice to be there and we got some more pictures. It was nice to visit their graves and tell them I love them. We then drove back to Ogden for the luncheon/ informal funeral. Each of the siblings, their spouses, and Nedra shared memories. A few grandchildren did and a friend, too. It was SO enlightening to hear those memories of Alvin. Why is it that we don't truly know someone until their funeral? It was a lot of driving in a few hours, but so worth the effort. Funerals and weddings: you never know what you miss when you miss them. These family times are truly the joy in life and what keep us focused and determined to do better and be better. I am grateful to be part of such a great family. We used to have reunions with this bunch every other year. The reunions were discontinued several years ago when it was going to be Alvin's turn and he said he just couldn't do it. He was getting too old and it was too much work. Well, Uncle Al, you hosted the reunion, and it was a doozy. Well done, well done. *Note: Thanks, Patty and Hal for the pictures. My camera is still in the shop.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm glad that everyone was able to make it! That is amazing! What a wonderful reunion.

Pal & Hatty said...

Well said! It was an amazing weekend1

Kristen Mackrory said...

It sounds like such a special weekend. I loved seeing all of the pictures.

Ming said...

What a lovely weekend and such a tribute to an amazing family!

sara cardon said...

What a great "reunion" of sorts! When my mom told me she'd driven all that way, and then back again that night I thought she was crazy-- but now I see how worth it it was.

Shonna said...

That is great that everyone came. I love the pictures! We are so blessed to be part of an incredible family.

Joan Morris said...

It was so nice to see everyone. Thanks for your description of a wonderful weekend.