Sunday, January 17, 2010

Caleb

I wish I had a new picture. I have a new one in my mind. It's a picture of a precious little boy in a hospital bassinet. He's off all breathing support- the ventillator is gone, the baby CPAP is gone. He breathes on his own. He has little monitors attached to his chest, to make sure he keeps breathing, but he's doing great. He still has a feeding tube. He is back to birth weight as of yesterday, so he's growing. It's been up and down, but generally, up. He is learning to suck. They put a purple pacifier in his mouth when they give him his food so he associates food with sucking. He loves Shonna and Blake to hold him and sing to him and rub his little head. He hates it when they put him down to leave. He cries. It breaks my heart. I often wake up at night and think of him in his little lonely bed and pray for him to feel peace and the love of all of us who are so far away, and yet love him so very much. I pray for his parents who are dealing with all of this with such grace and love. I pray for the nurses who care for him that they'll do their job perfectly and meet not only his physical, but his emotional needs as well. I pray for his doctors that they'll make right decisions for his care. I thank Him for you and your prayers and your support. We really do appreciate your caring concern. I think when all this is over that I'll sign up with my local hospital to be a NICU grandma who just holds and loves sick babies. I sure wish I could hold and love ours. I love you, baby Caleb!

6 comments:

Joan Morris said...

I'm so thankful Caleb is doing well. How I remember those feelings of leaving my baby in the PICU every night in the hands of the Lord and the dedicated hospital staff. Tell Shonna and Blake to hang in there, they really do get to come home when they are healthy and strong. Heavenly Father is so mindful of us and blesses and comforts all of us with His loving care. We'll continue to pray for the Camerons.

Michelle said...

I'm crying. Well said. I just love that little guy so much even though I haven't actually met him! He is a lucky little one to have such amazing parents.

James and Tricia Thomas said...

That post breaks my heart! Poor little guy! I am glad he is doing better!

Carina said...

I'm so glad Caleb is improving so quickly. We are continuing to keep him in our prayers so he can be healthy, grow and shorten the time Shonna and Blake have to wait to bring him home.

sara cardon said...

He sounds like such a sweet little baby, and like he loves his parents already and can really sense their presence. We'll keep praying that he'll grow and grow in this next few months!!

Kristen Mackrory said...

I've got tears in my eyes too. I love that he knows his Mom and Dad and that he loves kangaroo time as much as they do. And what a good idea to pray for him to be comforted. I'm going to too. Isn't it amazing how much we can love him even though we haven't even met him yet? And you are right, Blake and Shonna are handling all of this with amazing grace and love. Beautiful post Mom. You put your feelings into words so well.