Friday, January 22, 2010

90th Birthday

Today, Ken and I attended the 90th birthday celebration of Helen Marr Clark Roberts. Helen Marr and her first husband lived in Caldwell when I was growing up. Her first husband and my dad sang in a quartet together. I always loved Helen Marr and remember her from way back when. They moved from Caldwell when I was young.
Later, my parents became snowbirds and found Helen Marr and her husband living here, too. They took up where they had left off years before and became very good friends again. Helen Marr's first husband passed away and she remarried. Then, joy of joys, she moved into my ward. While I was serving as Relief Society president, she was my mentor. I can't tell you how much I love and admire this dear lady. She is always loving and cheerful and so, so good. Whenever there was a work project in the Relief Society, whether it was cleaning out someone's house, making stuff, whatever, Helen Marr was the first to show up. She and my mom were so cute together. It just so happens, that she and mom were exactly the same age- within just a couple of weeks. Today is Helen Marr's birthday. Mom's 90th birthday would have been on February 5th. They met up with three other ladies who were also the exact same age- all born within a couple of weeks of each other. This picture is of the five of them at their 80th birthday celebration. My mom, Dorothy is in the middle. Only the two on the ends are still alive. Helen Marr is the one on the right. I told her I think she looks younger today than ten years ago. She has since moved from our ward, but I still delight in visiting her and being around her. I wish you could know her. It's a rare thing when one's mother's friends become one's own friends. But, really we're all the same age inside. When my mother passed away, Helen Marr came over as soon as I got home from the funeral. She presented me with these four beautiful dolls, explaining that mom lives on in me and each of my daughters. I have the love of my mother, Kristen (who was a missionary at the time) loves the scriptures and other good books( my mom loved to read), Shonna is full of music, as was my mother, and Michelle is a dancer- my mom loved to dance and all the arts. I treasure these beautiful dolls, as they make me think of my mom and of dear Helen Marr.
Happy, happy birthday, dear Helen Marr . . .and mom!

2 comments:

Joan Morris said...

What sweet memories you brought back! Happy Birthday Helen Marr! Thanks for being such a wonderful person and friend to my Mom.

Kristen Mackrory said...

I didn't know that post was going to make me cry. It makes me miss grandma. I loved your comment about your Mom's friends becoming your own. She sounds like a tremendous lady. I'm so glad that she was there as a mentor for you when you were the RS president. Thanks for sharing.