Monday, January 25, 2010

Homemade Bread

This is a great recipe. Really, really yummy, sliceable bread. You can use all wheat, all white flour, or a mixture. You can make anything out of this recipe: loaves, rolls, cinnamon rolls, pizza crust, etc. It has a strange ingredient: soy lecithin. It's good for you- it's made from soy beans. I got it at the store where I bought my Bosch mixer, but I think you can get it in health food stores and maybe even grocery stores. It's worth it. It really makes good bread.
Bread
Makes 4 loaves
10 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 T. salt
3 T. yeast
Mix these dry ingredients in a bread mixer or by hand in a very large bowl.
Add:
3 T. Lecithin
4 cups hot water
Knead for 5-10 minutes
Shape into loaves and place into pans.
Allow to rise for 25 minutes.
Bake 25 minutes in a 350 oven.

5 comments:

Kristen Mackrory said...

Oh Yay! I want to try it. It sounds delicious. I'll have to look that stuff next time I go shopping. Will you be my visiting teacher and bring me homemade wheat bread when the lesson is on self-reliance? I love your ideas!

Joan Morris said...

Thanks for the recipe. It looks delicious! I'll have to see if I can find soy lecithin. Is it a liquid?

Natalie Sue said...

I love this recipe! At least it looks almost the same as mine. If I do whole wheat, I add honey to it too. We do use it for everything. And it's a nice "food storage" recipe cause you stock up on lecithin and don't have to use your oil.

Michelle said...

Thank you, thank you! I'm so excited to try it! The one I used is good, but not amazing. I just finished printing it, so I'll make it as soon as we run out of the stuff I just made! :)

sara cardon said...

YUM!!! Nothing better than homemade bread...