Sunday, January 7, 2024

More Blasts From the Past- 3

 Are you ready for more blasts from my past in Caldwell, Idaho?

Chalet amusement park was owned and operated by members of our church.  It was such a fun place to go.  We loved to ride the go karts and jump on the trampolines.  They had 8 trampolines buried ground level.  They were so fun to jump on.  I'm sure I played the miniature golf as well, but I don't remember it.  Inside, they had foosball tables.  I spent many an hour as a teenager playing on those tables.  Such happy memories!
Gem In and Out and Kwicurb Drive-in were across the street from each other.  I don't know when it started, but these two places became the hot teenage hangouts.  Especially on weekends, but really every night, teenagers could be seen "dragging the curb."  They would drive through one establishment, drive across the street and around that one, then do it over and over and over again. I know it was the tradition when my older sisters were growing up.  I remember one of my sister Patty's boyfriends had a red convertible.  He came to see Patty and invited Joan and I to come drag the curb with them.  We were SO excited to ride in the back of that convertible and drag the curb.  He stopped at Quick Curb and bought us both milkshakes. What a happy day and memory!


By the time I was a teenager, I don't remember doing it.  I do remember occasionally getting a hamburger at one of the places.  Maybe I just wasn't in the "in" crowd.

Penny- Wise Drug Store is a huge part of my growing up years.  Huge.  My dad set up an account there, so we could go there and buy stuff and charge it. We bought all of our prescription and over the counter drugs there. We bought most of our Christmas gifts there, toys, candy, etc.  We rode our bikes there very often in the summer.  I have such happy memories of Penny-Wise Drug Store.  The employees all knew us and knew to charge my dad's account.

Probably the best fast food place in town was the Red Steer Drive-in.  My dad certainly thought so.  After I could drive (age 14) he often sent me there to buy dinner for our family.  I LOVED two things there:
1) Their grilled hot dogs.  They were long and delicious. They would split that delicious hot dog in half, grill it until the edges were browned and crispy, and put it on the bun.  I would always get mine with mayonnaise, ketchup, and tomatoes.
2) Their finger steaks.  I didn't know until I was an adult and moved out of Idaho, but finger steaks are an Idaho-only thing.  And they are SO delicious.  Especially at the Red Steer.  That is what my dad always ordered.  They were like chicken fingers, but they were delicious, tender, breaded and seasoned beef.  They came with dipping sauce and fries and they were so good.  Oh, how I miss finger steaks!

There will be more blasts from the past.  I keep getting more nostalgic pictures.  
















No comments: