Saturday, January 6, 2024

2023 Books

 

At the end of every year, I have a strong desire to look back at all of the books I read that year, reread my reviews, choose my favorites  in fiction and non-fiction, and write a post about it.  
Here is my 2023 report.
I review books on the social media website Goodreads.  At the end of the year, they send me emails reporting my year's book reading.  Here are some they sent:

















I read 14 Nonfiction books in 2023.  My favorites were the two histories: Lyman and Dorothy Gabrielsen written by my sister Patty and Ken's Autobiography.  My favorite widely published nonfiction book was probably Upstairs in the Whitehouse by JB West.  That may be partly because I read it recently, but I really enjoyed that book.   It looks like it was the longest book I read last year as well.

I read 45 Fiction books in 2023.  There were a lot of good ones.  My favorite is a tie.  The Happy Life of Isadora Bentley and A Place to Hang the Moon were probably my favorites.  Just writing the names puts a smile on my face.

I read a total of 59 books.  My Goodreads goal was 60, so I came close.  It was a good year of reading.
Following is a document with all of my reviews of books read in 2023:


2023 Books

Non- Fiction

1.     Everything Sad is Untrue by Daniel Nayeri 5 stars

This is probably the best autobiography I have ever read.  It is written so beautifully, like a patchwork rug as the author explained.  It is Daniel’s story from his point of view as a child. You get a piece here and a beautiful piece there and soon you have the glorious Persian rug of his life.  The book immerses you in the life of an Iranian, a refugee, a bullied child misplaced in a foreign land.  You feel it all.  You laugh at him- he’s funny.  You weep for him as his story is so full of sadness.  You rejoice with him in the happiness in his life, and you honor his unstoppable mother with him.

It is billed as being for young adults, but, as a conservative parent, I highly recommend reading it before you let your child read it. Though written from the point of view of a child, I think it is for you.  Immerse yourself in this amazing story.  It will change you.  I read the hardcover version, which I loved, but other reviewers say the audio version is well done.

2.     Original Grace by Adam S Miller 3 stars

This was a book requiring deep thinking and analysis.  I’m sure a lot of it went over my head.  I appreciated the personal illustrations and the application of thought.  I am grateful for the grace and atonement of our Savior Jesus Christ.

3.     This is the Story of a Happy Marriage by Ann Patchett 5 stars

Some people are born to write.  Ann Patchett is one of them.  These essays written by her were previously published in magazines and newspapers.  Though I don’t always agree with what she says, I love how she says it. She narrates the book herself and I love her voice.  Not just her physical voice, but her voice in her writing.  She is a masterful writer.

 My favorite essay was the one where she gives practical tips on how to write a book.  Since I am writing a book, this was most helpful to me.  The tip that has helped me the most is to set aside a certain amount of time every day for writing.  Then sit in your computer chair for that amount of time.  You don’t have to write, but you have to sit there.  It works!

I enjoyed every one of the essays and wish there were more.  I feel myself uplifted and determined to do and be better after listening to this book.  I declare myself an Ann Patchett fan. 

4.     Wolf Willow by Wallace Stegner 3 stars

I’ll start by saying I am a Stegner fan.  I have been since the first one I read.  This is the tenth one I have read.  But I didn’t enjoy this one as much as the others.  It is full of the history of Saskatchawan, Canada where Stegner spent part of his growing up years.  He goes back as an adult and reminisces and recalls and retells stories.  I loved that part.  There are a couple of self-contained short stories in this book that were absolutely spell-binding.  But over half of the book was history.  I was not that interested in that.  It was hard for me to stay interested.  So, overall, I give it 2 ½ stars.  Because it’s Stegner, I’ll round up to 3.

5.      Chicken Soup for the Soul: True Love by Jack Canfield 3 stars

It has been a long time since I read a Chicken Soup book.  I really enjoyed reading these 101 stories- people’s love stories.  They were uplifting and funny and spiritual and entertaining.  They helped me love and appreciate my own love a little more.  Who doesn’t appreciate a good love story?

6.     Dorothy and Lyman Gabrielsen by Patricia Mickelsen 5+ Stars

My sister, Patty created a beautiful book honoring and detailing the lives of our parents, Dorothy and Lyman Gabrielsen.  It is full of beautiful pictures and tributes written by their siblings and posterity.  It also has their personal histories, both written by Dad as Mom was too ill to complete hers.  It was a beautiful act of love from him to her.  I treasure this beautiful book and the remembrances of my parents it brings.

7.      The Little Book of Etiquette  by Dorothea Johnson  4 stars

In preparation for teaching my grandchildren about etiquette at our upcoming family reunion, I read this little book.  It was most informative and helpful.  The dos and don’ts lists will be most helpful in my teaching.  Having good manners is not about strict rules, but about helping yourself and others feel comfortable.  Mannerly people can represent their families, their church, and their business in a positive way.  I have some fun teaching ideas and hope I can do an adequate job.

8.     The Road to Villa Page by Cynthia and William James Royce 2 ½ stars

An American couple buys a home in France.  Told alternately from each of their perspectives, the story of their challenges and their successes unfolds.  I liked the idea of it, but it seemed very scattered and hard to follow. 

9.     The Personal History of Kenneth Allen Hinton

I loved reading my husband’s recently-published personal history.  He did a beautiful job writing it.  He combed through thousands of family pictures and digitized many, including them in this book.  He told the story of his life beautifully in word and photos.  At the end, he included other records he has kept: his basketball try-out journal from high school, his detailed dating record, his patriarchal blessing, and a summary of our mission to Japan. Reading his history helped me to love him even more.

10. American Ramble by Neil King  4 stars

Non-Fiction.  This was a great book-so well written.  If you love American history and geography you will love this book.  I loved the social insights he gives.  After a battle with cancer and just at the end of the pandemic lockdown, Neil King goes on a walking pilgrimage from his home in Washington DC to New York City.  He meets many people along the way and visits many historical sites.  His research is remarkable as he tells the stories of the sites and the people in history that were there.  He meets many along the way, telling of each, their personalities, their expertise and what they taught him.  That was the part I liked best.  I think most would enjoy this good book.

11. Upstairs at the White House by J.B West  5 stars

Non. Fiction.  I really liked this book.  It was written by the Chief Usher at the White House during six different administrations.  The chief usher’s job is to make and keep the white house running the way the first family, especially the first lady, wants it.  He told a lot about the personalities and family life of Eleanor Roosevelt, Bess Truman, Mamie Eisenhauer, Jacqueline Kennedy, Lady Bird Johnson, and Pat Nixon and his relationship with each.  Unlike the “tell -alls” of modern day, he was most respectful in his writing.  But he did share some cute anecdotes about each.  He seemed to like and respect all of the first ladies.  He seemed especially fond and close to Jacqueline Kennedy.   I learned so much about each of them and loved learning their values, likes, dislikes, and family life.  I really think most would enjoy reading this book.

12    The Shattered Dream by Gene Smith  3 stars

This is a sad book.  It is a biography of Herbert Hoover.  He may  be the most qualified man to ever be president of the United States.  But his timing was horrible.  And he lacked charisma.  He was born into indigent circumstances, but was extremely intelligent and a genius at problem solving.  He became very wealthy and sought-after by companies for his problem-solving skills.  He became president just as the stock market crashed, bringing on the great depression.  The author’s feelings are that Hoover and Wilson were the best presidents this country ever had.  “ In the end, a chosen few said of him that the world had dealt as cruelly with him as with any man who ever lived.” I am afraid that is true.  I wish history had been kinder to Herbert Hoover. 

12. A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway  3 stars

In this collection of remembrances from his time in Paris as a young newlywed, Hemingway introduces us to other famous writers and artists living there at that time, especially Scott Fitzgerald and Gertrude Stein. One of the things I liked the most about the book was his expressions of great love for his wife.  His last story was so very sad.  I learned a lot about life in Paris in the 1920 and got to know famous people in a very personal way.  Did you really have to drink so much?

13. The Book of Mormon

Reread.

14.Cheaper By the Dozen by Frank and Ernestine Gilbreth 3 stars

Published in 1948 and written by two of the dozen children of Frank and Lil Gilbreth, this book tells many of the adventures of the Gilbreth family.  The father was eccentric and creative, the mother, very intelligent.  They had an even dozen of children- six girls and six boys.  It was a cute, funny, and unsettling book.  Two movies have been made based on this book. 

Fiction

1.     Mustaches for Maddie by Chad Morris 4 stars

Based on a true story, this funny, heartwarming book was recommended to me by my granddaughter.  It is well-written and is so true to the world of a middle-school student.  I loved the emphasis on family and love and community support.  I loved the afterword that tells  the “real” story of Maddie and her mustaches.

2.     The Brilliant Life of Eurdora Honeysett by Annie Lyons  5 stars

This is my kind of book.  I loved it.  Eighty-five-year-old Eudora thinks she is through with life until she meets Rose, her ten-year-old neighbor who claims Eudora is her BFF.  The book is all about forgiveness, relationships, friendship, old age, and the blessing we can be to one another through the ups and downs of life. The audio version is superb!

3.     The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim 3 stars

I was surprised.  I expected this book to be about travel in Italy.  Instead, it was all about human nature, relationships, and the influence for good or bad we can be upon one another.  There are captivating descriptions of the landscape and foliage, but the ladies never really leave the castle they have rented for their vacation.  All of the “action” takes place right there.  Okay, so there is no action.  But there is certainly conversation and thought-provoking interchange between the characters.  We really can have profound influence on each other is my takeaway.

4.     The Reckoning by John Grisham  3 stars

This was a well-written, but very sad book.  It combines historical fiction from WWII and a crime/law story.  Honestly, I finished kind of wishing I hadn’t read it.  It just left me sad.  3 stars because the writing is so very good.

5.     A Christmas Waltz by Josi S Kilpack 3 stars

My sister recommended this author, so, though it was not the season, I read this sweet, clean romance. It really wasn’t much about Christmas.   Good writing and good story.

6.     Be Frank with Me  5  stars  by Julia Claibourne Johnson

I loved Frank.  I loved Alice.  I loved this book.  I loved the story, but mostly, I loved Frank and Alice.  Frank is a 9-year-old eccentric genius.  Alice is hired to care for him while his mother writes a novel.  His mother is nothing but rude to Alice, but Alice tolerates it and learns to love Frank. Her patience and tolerance are beyond admirable. It is very well read in the audio version.  I will be seeking other books by this author. 

7.     In His Steps by Charles M. Sheldon

The phrase “What would Jesus do?” that was so popular a few years ago (remember the bracelets?) originated from this novel.  It is an interesting idea, but I’m not sure I agree that the choices the people made in this book trying to emulate our Savior are actually what He would have chosen.  That troubled me.  But I guess that’s the good of the book: to get the reader to analyze and think about it.  My personal goal is to accept the Savior’s invitation to “Come, follow me.”  What a different world we would live in if we all lived our lives by this mantra. 

8.     The Sunday Lunch Club by Juliet Ashton 2 stars

I’m not sure how to review this book.  It was a good story, though told in a way that was confusing at times.  It was about the importance of extended family and their support of one another.  That’s good.  But there was too much that violated my moral sense to make me comfortable reading it. 

9.     Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt  5+stars

I loved this book!  It is warm and tender and so well written.  It is all about relationships: the importance of family and friendships- even those found in very unusual places.  I think everyone would enjoy this delightful book.  It is beautifully read in the audio version. 

10. How to Raise an Elephant by Alexander McCall Smith 3 stars

I really enjoy this series.  This one is #21 in the delightful series and I have read them all.   I love the descriptions of Botswana and the country.  I love Mma Romatswa.  I love the calm and peace I feel as I read these books. Mma Makutsi is especially irritating in this novel, but, in the end, she does something very kind, living up to her name: Grace. I had almost decided I wouldn’t read more because she takes away from the calm and peace I feel otherwise in these stories as she is so irritating.  But she redeemed herself with an act of love and kindness.  I look forward to reading #22.

11.The One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot by Mary Anne Cronin 3 stars

17-year-old Lenni and 83-year-old Margot meet in the hospital and become fast friends.  They realize that their years, added together are a perfect 100 years.  Lenni is alone and very ill.  Her life expectancy is short.  Their life stories unfold as they work together on an art project, illustrating their 100 years of life, telling each other their stories.

I loved the premise of the book.  But I got lost at times in the stories- probably because I was listening to it.  I was moved to tears at times, well, one time.  When Margot’s dear husband dies.   Other parts were disturbing to me, but, overall, it was a good story.  It was well-read in the audio version.

12.Rescue by Jennifer Nielsen 4 stars

You’ll be on the edge of your seat from start to finish with this book set in WWII France.  Meg is a brave and stubborn character who helps with the French Resistance and recues her father from the Nazis.  I enjoy reading Jennifer Nielsen’s well-researched historical fiction novels and discussing them with my teenaged grandchildren.

13.Whiter Than Snow by Sandra Dallas 4 stars

This is a sad story of children buried in an avalanche in a Colorado mining town in 1920.  The avalanche happens at the end of the book.  The beginning chapters introduce you to each of the parents of the children and tells their sad stories.  In each case, their children have become their joy and reason for living.  It sounds pretty sad, doesn’t it?  But it also shows how a community comes together in this trajedy and how each parent is blessed as their community accepts them and helps then through their grief.    

14.Escape Goat by Ann Patchett 5 stars

Such a cute children’s story about a goat that regularly escapes his pen and gets blamed for everything that goes wrong while he is out.  I listened to the audio version, then ordered it to read to my grandchildren. 

15.The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman 3 stars

This was a fun read about four elderly people who meet every Thursday to solve unsolved murder cases.  But suddenly they are right in the middle of solving two murders right in their own neighborhood.  I enjoyed the characters, but sometimes had a difficult time sorting everything out.  It gets pretty convoluted!  There are three books in the series and I will read the next one.

16.The Orchard by Paul Heller 4 stars

This is a beautifully written novel in first person narrative from the perspective of a young girl.  It is the story of how she and her mother lived and loved in a cabin in Vermont.  It is all about family, friends, commitment, and love.  It is so convincingly written that I would have thought it autobiographical if it weren’t written by a man.  I will seek others of his books.  A five-star read, but language brings it down a star for me.

17.Dear Mrs. Bird by AJ Pierce 4 stars

An historical fiction story set in WWII England.  You come to love the characters and their English customs, culture and turn of a phrase.  This novel gives the perspective of women during wartime: their sacrifice, their patriotism, their courage.  I listened to the well-done audio version and am now listening to the second book in the series.  It looks like a third will come out soon. 

18.The Secret Woman by Victoria Holt 3 stars

I enjoyed reading this Victorian romance, though I’m not necessarily inclined to read more of this classic author’s books -The setting was just so dark.  It was an intriguing story with a surprise ending. 

19.. Iceberg by Jennifer Nielsen 4 stars

Jennifer Nielsen is a master of writing historical fiction.  Having toured two of the top Titanic museums in the world (Halifax, Nova Scotia and Belfast, Northern Ireland,) I have a special interest in this horrible disaster and have learned a lot about it. Nielsen’s research shows as she incorporates truths into her story. As in all of her novels, this one is a page-turner (or in my case, listener) to the end. 

20.Where the Watermelons Grow by Cindy Baldwin 5 stars

This story touched my heart.  It is told from the perspective of a young girl whose mother has schizophrenia.  Della is sure that if she can just be a better daughter, she can make her mother’s illness go away. This book is full of love:  Family love, and community love. Many of the women in their little southern town love Della and help her through this difficult time.  I especially recommend this book to anyone dealing with mental illness in their family.  It is beautiful.

21.Yours Cheerfully by A J Pierce 5 stars

This is the second book in the Emmy Lake series.  I think I liked it even better than the first.  It is set in WWII England.  We already love the characters from Dear Mrs. Bird, but especially Emmy evolves from an impetuous girl who makes a lot of unwise decisions to a mature young woman who truly makes a difference for women/ mothers during the war.  It is so well read in the audio version.  A third book in the series is to come out soon.  I’m hoping for a happily ever/ post-war plot.

22. The Horse in My Garage by Patrick McManus 3 atars

Long a fan of Patrick McManus, I enjoyed this collection of hilarious essays written by him.  Some experiences are repeated in more than one essay, but I really enjoyed reading it. 

23.A Home in the Sun  by Sue Moorcroft  3 stars

I enjoyed reading this book, though the protagonist was a little slow to recognize the good in her present life; clinging to the past.  I enjoyed this author and will seek other books by her. I listened to the audio version.

24. Marilla of Green Gables by Sarah McCoy 4 stars

Long a fan of the Anne of Green Gables series, I was delighted to read this prequel to the series- the story of Marilla. 

Knowing the ending of Marilla’s life made reading this story of her life quite sad, as I knew she would not get her dreams fulfilled.  But, still, it was a well-written and enjoyable novel.  It is a story of a hard-working, devoted, strong-willed woman.  I love the characters, the setting, and the history it teaches.  I have to say, though, that I felt that some of the characters were different than they are in the Anne series.  For instance, Rachel is a much stronger character there than in this story.  Matthew is much quieter and more lovable in the series.  Even Marilla is much bossier and more outspoken in the series.  If you are a fan of Anne, though,  you will want to read this one!

25.Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggen 3 stars

When I saw this book on Scribd, it elicited a strong, warm, emotional response.  Though I couldn’t remember a thing about the story, I remembered loving it as a child.  I had to listen to it.  It was fun to revisit this coming-of-age story written in 1901.  Rebecca is a literary hero for young girls as she faces and solves problems and continually convinces herself to make good choices.  It is also a great study in what life was like for a young girl way back then.  This is a classic.

26. Meet Me at the Museum by Anne Youngson 4 stars

Tina, in England, writes a letter of inquiry about an ancient mummy to a museum in Denmark.  The curator of the museum replies.  They strike up a friendship, finding much in common and continue to write back and forth.  It is a sweet and very thought-provoking book.

27. In Five Years by Rebecca Serle 2 stars

The premise of this book was interesting.  I should have liked the book.  But I didn’t much.  I didn’t like Dannie, the main character much.  You need to like the main character, I think, to enjoy a book.  Though her loyalty to her best friend was admirable, she otherwise wasn’t that great of a person. I have to admit the story kept me turning the pages, but I was often disgusted with what I found on the next page.  I can’t recommend this one.

28. A Place For Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza 4 stars

This book was hard for me to get into.  There are many flashbacks and even flashbacks within flashbacks.  The names are foreign to me, so it was difficult to keep track of the characters.  But around the middle of the book, I was deeply involved in the story and was in tears at the end.  It is a story of family, culture, love, and forgiveness.  I think I will remember this one for a long time.

29. While You Were Mine by Ann Howard Creel 3 stars

I listened to the audio book.  I found the reader’s voice to be rough and irritating and over-dramatic.  I think if I read the story myself, I would have enjoyed it more.  It was a good story with interesting characters.  I learned a lot about post-WWII New York City.  Three stars from me. 

30.The Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Patchett  3 stars

I wanted to like this book.  I wanted to like Rose; even to understand Rose would have been nice.  But the author never let us understand her or understand why she seemed incapable of loving and commitment.  She had three people that truly loved her, that were desperate for her love, but she couldn’t seem to love them back.   I came to love all three of them, but only felt frustration and even disgust for Rose.  A 3-star rating is generous.

31.A Bridge Across the Ocean by Susan Meissner 4 stars

I loved the immersion in history, though I swore I would never read another book with the word Hitler in it.  As in all of Meissner’s books, this story connects women from different times, lives, and even continents.  The reader comes to know and love each one and to truly empathize with them in their difficulties.  I love how everything comes together in the end.  4 shining stars from me.

32.  The Trouble with Goats and Sheep by Joanna Cannon 4 stars

This novel, set on an avenue in a village in England, is a sociological study on following the crowd, mob mentality, and judging others.  One of our narrators is a young girl, who, with her friend decide to spend the summer finding God.  The author’s use of words and the turn of a phrase are brilliant, as she would say.  You can’t go a page without laughing.  The novel is full of irony.  In fact, if I had to describe it in one word, I would choose irony.  The residence of the avenue think they are God-fearing Christians, when, in fact they cause misery and destruction with their judgments and gossip. The story is also a mystery as one of the residents has gone missing.  She just vanished one day and all are sure the odd man from house number eleven must be to blame.  I know it sounds like a lot in just one little novel.  But it’s all in there.  It is brilliant!

33.Stars Over Sunset Boulevard by Susan Meissner 4 stars

Susan Messner’s style to is tell two stories- one from the past (in this case during the filming of “Gone With the Wind,”) and one from the present, and usually there is an object that ties the two stories together (in this case, a hat Scarlett O’Hara wore in the movie.)

This is a story of friendship, loyalty, romance, and love.  The characters are flawed, but very likable.  It is such a good story, told so well.   I love how it portrayed unconditional love between two friends. The audio version is well done.

34. The Happy Life of Isadora Bentley by Courtney Walsh 5 star

I loved this book.  I was afraid it was just going to be silly when it started.  I don’t like silly.  But it wasn’t silly.  It was funny, but it also had so much depth.  It was about nurturing, ministering, and accepting.  It was about forgiving and not giving up on someone no matter what. Thank you, Tiffani (my niece) for a great recommendation!  For me to give a 5-star rating it has to be a page-turner and it has to make me want to be a better person.  Check.  Check!

35.Sea of Memories by Fiona Valpy 3 stars

It was well-written.  I loved the settings and description.  I was disappointed in the choices made by the main character, especially in the end.  I loved the granddaughter/grandmother relationship that developed in the story.  I listened to the audio version of this book.  The reader had a very singsong style that made listening difficult.  I feel I would have enjoyed it more if I had read it. 

36. The Keeper of Happy Endings by Barbara Davis 4 ½ stars

I really enjoyed this book.  It is a story set-in two-time periods- WWII France and Boston now.  The story is moving and intriguing.  The plot may have a few too many coincidences, but the happy ending makes it worth it.  It is all about the importance of family and the ties that should never be broken.  This is one I can recommend.  I will seek other books by this author.

37.Maggie’s War by Terrie Todd

 I will start by saying that I have put this author’s other two books on my “to read” list. She is a good writer. I love the Christian undertones. I love that there is no foul language. I love the themes of redemption, forgiveness, and love. I loved the characters and their goodness, though in Maggie’s case that goodness had to be mined by the other characters. I loved the action of the book and the difficulties, but how they supported one another through those times. This is a good story. The audio version was well done.

38.Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus 3 stars

As I look through the reviews of this book, it seems you either love it or you hate it.  Proving my theory wrong, I find myself kind of in the middle.  I sincerely hope that women weren’t treated this way in the early 1960s.  It’s disgusting.  Elizabeth is fighting a battle she just can’t win.  Men rule her world.  The pendulum has swung maybe a bit too far the other way now, but I am so glad that women’s minds and contributions are honored and appreciated now.  I see that just released is a TV series based on this book on Apple TV.  I can see why it was chosen:  the characters are interesting, the story engaging, and the premise is really creative.  I enjoyed reading this book.  Warning: There is a rape scene.  Skip it. You will be able to smell it coming.  There is some language.  Hard to skip that.

39. Authentically, Izzy by Pepper Basham

A romance develops all through e-mails and video chats.  There is also a lot of communication between cousins, weaving seamlessly together a delightful story.  Almost the entire book is done in epistles, but that doesn’t weigh it down at all.  You hardly notice.  What a talented author to be able to do that.  I will be reading the next of this series.  It was a fun, relaxing read- or listen.  I listened to the audio version.

40. A Place to Hang the Moon by Kate Albus 5+stars

Oh, how I loved this book.  It is the story of three recently orphaned children from London sent to the country during the blitz.  I loved these three children and Mrs. Mueller is a new literary hero.   I highly recommend this one.  I think this book belongs among the classics.  I am hoping for a sequel.

41. Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata 4 + stars

I really enjoyed this book, mostly because it re- immersed me into Japanese culture.  We lived in Japan for 1 ½ years and frequented convenience stores there- mostly to use the facilities, which were always spotlessly clean.  The workers were friendly and cheerful- just as this woman described they were taught to be.

The story is not action-packed.  It is a thought-provoking social/ psychology study.  Do we push people into conforming into what we think will make them happy and successful? Do we impose our social norms on all?  I really loved Keiko.  She really wanted to fit in, but in her heart knew she was happy just the way she was- in her simple life as a convenience store worker.  The book is short.  It is quirky.  It is kind of sad.  But mostly it makes you think.  I think most would enjoy it. 4+ stars from me.

42. An Island at War by Deborah Carr  5 stars

I said I didn’t want to ever read another book with the word “Hitler” in it.  I can’t stand the inhumane cruelty. But I’m glad I listened to this one. It had some cruelty, but didn’t cross the line.  It is about the German occupation on a channel Island during WWII. It is somewhat similar to “The Guernsey Literature and Potato Peel Society.”  I loved the characters.  They taught me of resilience and resourcefulness.  I appreciated their compassion and willingness to share and to put others before their own safety.  The writing was superb.  We listened to the audio version while on a road trip.  5 stars from us!

43. Christmas with Anne by LM Montgomery 4 stars

This was a delightful collection of Christmas stories written by LM Montgomery.  I loved the stories of joy, love, forgiveness, charity, and Christmas cheer.  It certainly got me into the true spirit of Christmas.

44.  The Christmas Bookshop by Jenny Colgan 3 stars

This was a story to put you in the Christmas spirit.  It involved sibling reconciliation, transformation, friendship, and a little romance. My favorite part, though, was the setting.  It was set in a shop on a street that branched off the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, Scotland.  The descriptions were so real that I picture it all having visited there and walked that Royal Mile just last year.  It was a fun read.

45.Snowed in for Christmas by Sarah Morgan  3 stars

This was a fun Christmas-time read about a family with three grown children all gathering at their childhood home for Christmas with their parents and outspoken grandmother.   I hope it’s not spoiling the story to say that though it is a bit of a rocky road along the way, all conflicts resolve and the story tied up in a beautiful Christmas bow. 

 


No comments: