Thursday, February 25, 2021

State of Wonder

 

State of WonderState of Wonder by Ann Patchett
My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Several years ago, I started to read a book with a protagonist that was so stupid (Dreams of Joy.) She kept making really dumb decisions. I kept screaming at the book, but she didn’t listen. She never listened. I finally closed the book and didn’t finish it. This one was kind of the same way, except that I did finish this one. “Stop!” I yelled, “Why are you going to the Amazon? This is crazy. It’s not worth it to please your emotionless, uncommitted boyfriend. What do you hope to accomplish? You are going just to pick up some binoculars? Think girl! Think!” Marina didn’t listen, either. She just went and then has problem after problem. It is a frustrating story. I really didn’t like any of the characters, oh, except Easter- the little deaf boy in the jungle. I liked Easter. But everyone else was irritating at best, including Marina. I was just starting to kind of like her, when, at the end she does something really wrong, and, well, stupid. I won’t tell you what, just in case, after reading this glowing review, you want to read the book. It was an imaginative plot and full of excitement, but I was mostly just glad when it was over. I have liked the other Patchett novels I have read, but this one just didn’t float my pontoon boat. If you liked that Joy girl in that other book, then you’ll maybe like this one. Maybe.

View all my reviews

No comments: