Tuesday, February 16, 2021

A History and Memories of Charles Overn and Libby Peterson

 



 I hope I can find the words to express what I want to express here.  I just finished reading this wonderful compilation of histories of my grandparents and their ancestors written by sister, Patty.  I was so moved by it that I laughed, cried, and hugged it tight when I was done.  I literally laughed out loud in parts, with no one around to hear me, and cried and even sobbed in parts.  Patty did a remarkable job at capturing our grandparents and other Peterson ancestors.  I learned so much!  Patty did extensive research, piecing together information from many sources to create these histories.  She expressed that her goal was that each ancestor would be pleased with her efforts and what she wrote about them. I know they are. I was deeply touched to read of the faithfulness of these good people. Included in the book was a short history of Aunt Elisa.   I heard her name all my life, and even have some of her china, but really didn't know who she was. She was a beloved sister of my grandpa Charles who never married.  I love her and will be so pleased to meet her someday. Maybe my favorite part of the book is the excerpts from grandma’s letters.  Patty did such a good job of capturing her personality in the excerpts she chose to publish.  Grandma was a prolific letter-writer, especially after the death of her husband.  I, too, corresponded with her in our early marriage and loved getting her letters in her distinctive handwriting.  I shouldn’t start, because there are so many wonderful pictures in the book, but I have to share my favorite picture in the book. 


Grandma had a cute sense of humor.  When something tickled her, she would blink twice and laugh.  Someone, sometime, captured that.  Emphasized over and over is the love my grandma had for literature.  She was in a book club all of her life and served as literary chairman in Relief Society for years.  The apple does not fall far . . .

  My grandpa died when I was just seven years old.  I absolutely loved reading about him and learning that he was a soft, kind, loving man.  Reading about him was one of the “sob” parts for me.  He sang in literally hundreds of funerals and other events in his lifetime, including singing the basso solos in the Messiah for years.  My love of music and singing must come from him and other musical ancestors on all sides of my family.

I have been filled with the spirit of Elijah as I’ve read this beautiful book.  Thank you, Patty for your diligence and hard work.  You have blessed my family and I immensely. I will forever treasure this precious book.


I love this picture with two of her great grandchildren because it shows some of her living room, just as I remember it.



1 comment:

Joan Morris said...

Yay! I loved reading this too! Patty did such an amazing job!! We are so blessed.