Thursday, February 4, 2021

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl

 

The Diary of a Young GirlThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank


I am uncomfortable rating and reviewing this book. It is a young girl’s raw, open, coming of age story. I listened to it, so I can’t give the quote exactly, but at one point she is worried about what she just wrote, and says something like, “It’s not like anyone is ever going to read this.” The irony! It is probably the most read diary of all time! From her own words, the reader watches her grow from a girl to a young woman- with all the emotions and feelings that involves. She is obviously very intelligent- not only in her brain, but her emotional intelligence is, well, it’s what makes her so famous. She is far above her age in the ability to analyze feelings and emotions. I was uncomfortable at times as I listened; the feelings were so very raw. She is an amazingly good writer for her age. It is such a shame her pen was stifled. What could she have done as a writer, had she lived?
Reading it during my own confinement during COVID made for interesting contrast. I could so relate to some of her feelings of longing to be free from the confines of her hidden prison.
Somehow, I got well into my 60s before reading this famous book. I am glad I did so now.

View all my reviews

No comments: