Friday, July 17, 2020

The Night Diary

The Night DiaryThe Night Diary by Veera Hiranandani

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This beautifully written historical fiction novel takes us to a time and a place that I knew nothing about. In 1947, India declared itself independent of British rule and split into two countries: India and Pakistan- The Muslims on one side, the Hindus on the other. Our fictional story is about a Hindu family that must flee to the other side, at great peril. Our narrator is their twelve-year-old daughter who writes in a diary each night addressed to her mother, who died giving birth to her and her twin brother. The book gave me greater appreciation for all that I have, especially freedom. The writing is exquisite and the story, heartbreaking. There was so much pain, upheaval, and killing, all in the name of religion. Unfortunately, these atrocities continue throughout the world today. God and education are our only hope for healing our troubled world. This book is a good start in the education. I think it should be required reading in school.



View all my reviews

No comments: