Saturday, July 11, 2020

The Photo That Changed Me

This is my granddaughter, Hannah.  Hannah Rose, age 6.  She and her sister, Lily were playing ballet class.  Hannah leaped off of a kid-sized table (I'm sure it was a lovely leap), landed wrong and broke her elbow.  Because the break was on the growth plate, she was referred from her pediatrician in Logan to Primary Children's Hospital for further evaluation.  That meant Shonna had to find someone to tend her other children (not easy during a pandemic.  But her best friend, Robyn readily volunteered when she heard the situation. We love Robyn) and take her to the Layton clinic.
 Shonna sent this picture after she had it cast(luckily she didn't have to have surgery.)  It is taken in the elevator at Primary Children's. As I looked at the picture, I cried.  I realized that it represents the future.  Our world has changed. Little six- year- olds now wear masks.  Their siblings can't come with them when they visit the doctor.  This is the new normal.  Somehow seeing this picture changed me. Something inside me broke and I cried.  We will all get used to the new normal.  But for that moment I mourned what we have lost and I cried.  May God heal our world!


PS  After six weeks in a cast, Hannah got her cast off.  Everything healed nicely.  The first thing she wanted to do when she got home was practice the piano - with both hands!

1 comment:

Pam said...

What a touching post! And what a sweet face in that mask! This Pandemic hits me in different ways, different angles every day. Patience, faith and trust, I keep reminding myself.