Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Hinton Family Reunion 2020 Sunday

It was a difficult decision for us. Should we go? We had stayed at home and avoided people since March 11th.  I went to Keynotes (which we decided would be our last rehearsal until further notice.  All of the rest homes were closing down to any visitors and our tabernacle concert was canceled shortly thereafter) that day and then ran several errands and then we started our shelter at home.  I guess I went out on March 18th to my previously scheduled hair cut appointment (that was a difficult decision, too, but I figured it may be a LONG time before I could have it cut again, so I went.  I was right.  I haven't been back since.  I have what I call Covid hair.)  But other than that, I have not gone anywhere around people except my morning walks. I see people on the trail, but I try to stay far from them. We got our groceries from Walmart pick-up.  I hadn't ever worn a mask at all because I hadn't been around people.  Ken had been a little more out and about as he did Costco and Lowe's and the nursery, etc. as needs arose. He also walked with his brother three times a week, golfed once with his good friend, Don, and hiked with our good friend, Kurtis.  But for the most part, we sheltered at home.  His elder's quorum presidency meets online.
But our family reunion was scheduled for June 28th- July 4th.  How could we miss that? Our children have also been very careful, but Brian and Blake had to go out to work.  Blake is a dentist- one of the riskiest professions for the virus. But we really, really wanted to be with our family.  This reunion is the highlight of the year.  For the two weeks before the reunion, all three families were extra careful to not get around others.  That was a sacrifice and we are grateful for it. Blake and Shonna bent over backwards to make us feel comfortable.  They fogged every grocery that came into the house.  They sterilized everything.  Blake brought us dentist's masks- the really good kind.  He, of course, wore a mask as he did all of the shopping for the reunion.  Actually, he does all of the grocery shopping for their family and always wears a mask in public, and, of course at work.
So we decided to brave it.  After our at- home church we got in the car on Sunday, June 28th and headed to Logan. We stopped in Beaver on the way and had a very windy picnic in a park.

 Shonna and Blake were in charge this year and decided to host the reunion in their own home.  They slept in their trailer, and gave us their beautiful bedroom.  They planned and carried out a wonderful, perfect reunion.  I will do a separate post about each day because, after we shared pictures, there are over 1,000 of them!  This reunion is well documented!
It was absolute heaven to all be together and to see our family again.  We loved every minute of it.  It was just what we needed after long months of stay-at-home.

Sunday, June 28th
Caleb said the best part of the reunion was when we all got there.  He said he read his book in the front room window starting about 4:00 since the Princes were supposed to arrive at 4:30. He kept one eye out the window, and one on his book.  When they did arrive, he threw his book in the air and ran out to greet them.  We arrived about 6:00pm and the Mackrorys shortly thereafter. There was so much joy as everyone greeted one another.  We LOVE to be together.
Our youngest grandchild, Elisabeth. and Grandpa Ken.

Lily Kay and William

Hannah, Lily, and William

Grandpa is the tickle monster.
 Blake had pancakes, hashbrowns, and sausage ready for us.


"Too much cuteness at this table," as Michelle said.  Gabe, Sam, William, and Lissy.  They are our four youngest grandchildren.

It was Lily Kay's birthday that day.  She and her family had celebrated the day before, but she opened her gifts from the extended family.



Throughout the reunion, Ken and I read many stories to the kids, especially at bedtime and early in the morning.  Very often one of the kids would come up to us at the couch with a book and climb up by us.  It usually gathered a crowd.

When we get together, my daughters and I take turns massaging backs and feet.  All of them love to have their hair played with.  It goes on constantly throughout the week-long reunion.


So excited for a week together!!!!
Up next: What we did on Monday!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

You always do such a thorough and great job at capturing our memories together! William was looking over my shoulder as I looked at this post and heWas excited to see pictures of everyone. Caa as