Saturday, February 29, 2020

The Gathering of Zion: The Story of the Mormon Trail

The Gathering of Zion: The Story of the Mormon TrailThe Gathering of Zion: The Story of the Mormon Trail by Wallace Stegner

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I am a Wallace Stegner fan. I think I’ve given every one of his books that I have read 5 stars. But this one was different. It was non-fiction based on research he did on the exodus of the Mormons to Utah. His research was impeccable (especially considering it was pre-computer,) but some of his conclusions, erroneous.
I have to say it is a treasure to have a Pulitzer Prize-winning author who is not a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints writing about the church’s history in, what I’m sure he felt was an unbiased way. Doing a little research of my own, I found that this book has been quoted in the church’s general conference at least four times. It is a new perspective on an important part of the church’s history. But I felt it was a bit offensive in places and, much like the pioneers trek, a bit difficult to trudge through.



View all my reviews

No comments: