Monday, September 16, 2019

The Bookshop

The BookshopThe Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I hate to say it, but I really didn’t like this book much. I really wanted it to be a nice book about a “Shop Around the Corner” kind of book shop. But instead, it was a battle between a kind and decent widow who simply wanted to establish a book shop in her little English town and a mean and manipulative woman who wants the old house the widow has purchased for her shop for other purposes. And the bad guy wins in the end. Doesn’t the author know books are supposed to end happy? Considering the book was nominated for a prestigious award and a motion picture was produced based on the novel, my negative review probably tells more about me than it does the book.



View all my reviews

1 comment: