Friday, September 20, 2019

Welcome Home, John and Cindy

On September 15, John and Cindy reported their mission to the Phillipines in their home ward in Caldwell,  Idaho.  It was such a spiritual feast to be there.
This was taken at their home after the meeting.


Ken and I drove to Idaho on the Thursday before.  It was a long trip!

On Friday, Ken, Tom, Whitney and her roommate, Tara went camping and hiking in the mountains. Tom was a great host and guide.

Tom, Tara, Ken, Whitney


Soaking in Idaho hot springs is always part of their mountain adventures.





Joan, though she had just arrived home from Disneyworld with her kids, dropped everything to spend time with me.  We shopped (always have to go to Trader Joe's and TJ Maxx), went to lunch both days, visited, watched the BYU game (YEA!!!) and went to dinner on Friday at Devin and Sarah's.  They were so kind to host us for a nice dinner with their family.
We went to dinner on Saturday night after the hikers got home at a Mexican restaurant.  It was delicious!  Idaho has really good Mexican food.

Joan and Tom have recently moved into a beautiful home in Hidden Springs.  They are so happy in their rural Boise home.

I was sad I was having a bad hair day when I would be seeing so many loved ones that I rarely see.

After the sacrament meeting we partied at John and Cindy's.  There were a lot of people there.  In the front is my cousin, Martha and her husband, Ron.  I always love to see them and reconnect with a favorite cousin.






It was a delightful weekend.  We drove to Shonna and Blake's in Logan on Sunday, then on to St. George on Monday.  I didn't take a single picture at Shonna's and I'm sad.  But I will describe to you a picture I will hold in my memory:
As we left, Shonna and the four kids came out on the front porch to wave goodbye.  It was early, so the three youngest were still in their night clothes and all of them waving and blowing kisses.  Man, I wish I had stuck my camera out the window and took a picture!  It was so precious.
The kids were so happy to see us.  Caleb and Lily were learning about 9/11 and told us all about it and brought out a big photo-filled book about it.  Caleb had written a report on it for his class.  They knew a lot of details I had never heard.  It made me grateful that the schools( and their parents) are sensitively teaching about the day that changed the world.  We had good chats with all of the kids.  They are beautiful children being well-taught by their parents.  Blake worked us in for dental work early on Monday, for which we are most grateful.  They treat us like a king and queen, as did Tom and Joan when we were in Boise. It was a wonderful, memory-filled weekend.

1 comment:

Pam said...

Sounds like your long car ride to Boise and back produced many rewards,Kay! We also are so glad we could be in Caldwell to hear John and Cindy tell some of the things they learned on their mission with their great insight. I am so glad they are home safely. It was great seeing old friends and relatives. Did you have Wally Gearhauser as your principal? He was my 8th grade social studies teacher and not a member of the church at the time, but his wife was. I guess he has been active for years since. So fun to see him and cousin Martha and husband and all of John and Cindy's kids.