Wednesday, September 4, 2019

The House My Grandpa Built

My roots are in Logan, Utah.  Both of my parents were born and raised there.  My grandfather, Lyman Conrad Gabrielsen was a prominent building contractor in Logan.


This was my grandpa's sign.  It now hangs in my Aunt Nedra's home.
Several years ago, as part of an LC Gabrielsen family reunion, we had a map of homes he built in Logan that are still standing.  We drove around and viewed and photographed them. His signature style was gables and rolled roofs.   But we have always longed to go inside.  We especially wanted to go inside this beautiful home.  It was one he was particularly proud of.  It is where my Aunt Nedra was born.  It had a dance floor in it.  The three windows above the garage were windows of the dance floor.
We had a little miracle that allowed us to tour the home:
Shonna recently attended her 20 year high school class reunion.  She reconnected with a friend who, she found out, also lives in the Logan area.  So she and her friend's wife made friends and set up a play date with their kids at a local park.  As they chatted, it came out that Shonna's grandpa had built this home.  Sara said, "My cousin lives there!"  Shonna said how much she had always wanted to see the inside.  Sara said that she was sure her cousin would let her.  So she called her cousin who immediately came to the park and met Shonna.  He was such a nice, friendly guy and said he would love to have her come and see inside.  Shonna said that family, including me, Lyman's granddaughter would be in town for Lily's baptism and asked if we might all come on that day.  He was delighted to have us all come.  So they set it up for the afternoon of the day of the baptism.  Shonna was surprised how much he knew of the history of the house and his great love for it.  So, Ken and I, Shonna and her daughters and Michelle went on Saturday afternoon.  We found these people to be absolutely delightful and so interesting.  I took a few pictures:
View of the side of the house.

This is a picture of the front window and shows some of the beautiful architecture.  The owners have furnished the home with antiques.  This beautiful lamp came from the Logan temple when it was remodeled.

The ceiling and crown molding


Window and architecture in the kitchen

Bedroom

This beautiful front door is original to the house.

And this beautiful chandelier in the entry is also original to the house.

The front of the house.


Isn't it beautiful?


The kind and gracious owners.
It was such a privilege to meet these people, see inside my Grandpa's beautiful home, and to see and feel the love the current owners have for the home.  They honor my grandpa with the care they give it.  It was a sweet connection to a grandpa who I love/loved.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Oh, Kay! This post makes me so VERY happy! This is one of my favorite homes Grandpa built and it makes me feel so warm, even teary that it is so well cared for, appreciated and even loved. What a fortunate set of circumstances that you all got to go inside and also to meet those nice people!

Joan Morris said...

I love this. What a tender mercy that you got to tour that beautiful home. Thanks for sharing!