Friday, August 2, 2019

What Lack I Yet?



In three of the four gospels, we can read the story of the rich, young man who came to Jesus for advice.  A poignant question that he asked is found only in the book of Matthew.  In chapter 19, verse 20, we read this question: "What lack I yet?"  That is a question worth pondering and maybe could be at least a weekly mantra- perhaps as we partake of the sacrament.  It takes courage to ask that question.

The answer may be as hard for us as the answer was for the rich, young man.  But it also may not be.  In a recent conference talk by Larry R Lawrence, he suggested that sometimes the answer to this question may be something simple.  Examples he cited: Stop complaining, clean up your language, don't interrupt people when they are talking, improve your observance of the Sabbath Day, get up and clean your room, etc.
These four little words have the potential to change us and transform our lives- if we just have the courage to ask: What lack I yet?

To view other of my mantras, click here.

2 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

Kay - what a thoughtful post! I am going to add those 4 words to what I ponder during the sacrament! Thanks for your spiritual insights! I love you!

Michelle said...

So well said. It's scary to make ourselves vulnerable enough to really think about that question. But that's where change/improvement/progress starts.