Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Cancer Update

I thought I would write an update on my cancer.  I will do so every now and then until I'm cured- she says hopefully!  This is mostly for interested people, but also for history.  I already find I am forgetting details.  When I ask others their experience, I find they have forgotten details as well.
I have healed from two lumpectomies enough that I have met with other doctors.  First the medical oncologist.  I do not have to have chemotherapy, but after the radiation treatments are done, I will have to start taking drugs that block cancer cells from being fed.  There are two types of these drugs, and we have to decide which one I take.  I have some research to do.
I met with the radiation oncologist on Halloween day and got set up for radiation treatments.  That was no picnic, I'll tell you that. Now I sport tattoos!  They tattoo little dots on you to mark where to set up for the treatments each day.
This morning, Tuesday, I had my first treatment.  The whole experience is so foreign and less than modest.  It is difficult.  But I found that as the big machine was treating me, I tried to focus on gratitude.  I realized how grateful I am for that machine and for the hope it gives.  Before my treatment, my good friend, Jilynne met me in the waiting room.  Jilynne is a social worker that works with cancer patients.  We visited for awhile.  She is a blessing to me.  Never have I met anyone whose personality matches their job so perfectly.  She is caring, understanding, upbeat and an excellent listener.  Her hug gave me the courage to go in there when it was time.  Thank you, Jilynne.
I will go in for weekday daily treatments for the next 21 days, except I don't have to go on Thanksgiving day.  So, here we go!   Thanks for caring!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

You are in my prayers Aunt Kay! Love you!!

Shanny said...

Hang in there, Kay! I'm praying for you!

Joan Morris said...

You're doing great! You are my hero!

Pam said...

Your courage inspires me, Kay! Thank you for sharing these details about your challenging journey. I love you!