Saturday, December 17, 2016

Chicken Soup for the Soul

Can I just say, I make a mean homemade chicken noodle soup.  It is delicious and full of goodness.  We bought some rotisserie chickens from Costco for our Thanksgiving dinner.  I boiled the bones and produced a delicious stock, from which I made a delicious soup.  I did it on Monday.  Elder Hinton and the elders were going to teach an elderly less active member that evening.  She had an accident several years ago and has no use in her legs.  She scoots around on her bottom.  I'm sure it is very difficult for her to cook and prepare food for herself.  I wanted to make her the soup and send it with Ken when he went to teach her that evening.  As I cut up the carrots and celery and onions, I was thinking of her and the nutrition it would provide.  As I carefully picked the chicken from the bones, I was thinking of her.  I was meticulous so she wouldn't get a choking bone.  As I stirred and checked all day long, I was thinking of her and the joy the soup would bring.  I packed it up nicely in a covered container and sent him on his way.
You can only imagine my disappointment when Ken came home and said she wouldn't accept the soup.  She said she is a vegetarian and doesn't eat any meat.  I was sad. 

I wonder if that is in very, very small part how our Savior feels.  He carefully prepared every detail of the plan of salvation for us- a perfect plan.  Then he fulfilled the plan and atoned for us- individually.  All we have to do is accept the gift and partake of it.  Is that how He feels when we think we know better and reject his gift?  It sure makes me think. 

2 comments:

Pam said...

You did it again, Kay. Tears just popped in my eyes when I read this sweet post. I totally get the comparison. I made turkey carcass soup after Thanksgiving and I know the many steps, the care, the love that goes into making that soup. I love the analogy.

Joan Morris said...

Great thought! Thanks for sharing!