Friday, September 23, 2016

Monthly Shokigiki to Honor Two Newly Married Couples

Two of the eligible bachelors in our little branch got married this summer.  Both found their brides in other cities and brought them to live here.  We are excited to have two new wonderful sisters.  On the last Sunday in August, the branch held a special potluck dinner in honor of the newlyweds after the three-hour church block.  A potluck is held once a month after church.  But this one was in honor of the new Satohs and Abes.
It is so fun to help set it up each month and see what everyone brought.

Hamburgers (not common in Japan, fresh edamame, sushi, and we brought fresh mango/tomato salsa with tortilla chips (thank you, Costco)

The sister in the middle is one of the grooms' mother (with her husband and daughter.)  She is a fabulous cook and always brings something really good.  This was kind of like a pizza.  Kind of.

There were two wedding cakes



I think it's ready

The grooms were asked to give short speeches.  I have no idea what they said.


I asked that they pause for this picture.


Cake cutting ceremony

Cake cutting ceremony




3 comments:

Pam said...

I have to first say that I LOVE your header pic of you and Ken! I keep forgetting to tell you. Every time I pull up your blog and see it, it makes me happy and miss you! What interesting-looking food! Those wedding cakes are adorable! Did they taste as good as they looked? Thanks for posting so many great pics - I almost feel as if I were there!

Joan Morris said...

What a fun tradition to honor the newlyweds. The food looks yummy. Hopefully it tasted yummy. I love seeing the members in your branch.

Kristen Mackrory said...

So, is it a Japanese custom to cut the cake too or is that from the American influence of many missionaries? Seeing pictures of all the food brought back a lot of memories. I can't wait to visit Japan again.