Sunday, May 1, 2016

I Thought It Was Over For Sure

The other day, the doorbell rang.  I answered it to see a policeman standing there.  "Oh, dear," I thought.  "Here it comes!  It's over now"  Since  we have been here, I have been teasing Ken that the police were going to get him and deport him for his driving.  He actually is an excellent driver, considering the challenges he faces of driving on the wrong side of the road, etc.  except for one thing:  he tends to run the yellow/red lights.  He pushes it at home, too, but here the yellow lights are very short and the light is often red before we get through.  So when I saw that policeman on our doorstep, I figured I may as well go and start packing my bags.  The policeman addressed me, but I couldn't understand a word, so I said, "Chotto Matte Kudasai."  That means wait a moment please.  Ken came and talked to him and it seemed quite serious.  I snapped a picture to commemorate our last day in Japan.   
But evidently, he hadn't seen our light pushing driving at all, but came to just see who lives here and why we're here, etc.  He asked several questions.  He said it was for "emergency purposes"- in case there is an earthquake, tsunami, etc.  Ken gave him the information, including our phone number.  After he left, as Ken is wont to do, he ran back out to give him a treat, but he was gone.  He couldn't see him anywhere.  So if he's checking on everyone, why isn't he at the neighbors?  Hmmmmmm.
Later that day,  while we were on an outing with Sister Hirayama, that same policeman called.  Ken was having a terrible time understanding him.  So he asked Sister Hirayama to talk to him.  I guess he just wanted to know what country we were from.  She told him. 
So, if you see us home early, it may be because of some aggressive yellow light driving.  Maybe.  Hope we don't see you soon!  So long . . . I hope!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Funny! I'm so glad Ken wasn't arrested!

Unknown said...

Funny! I'm so glad Ken wasn't arrested!

Joan Morris said...

That darn Ken, always getting you guys in trouble.