Saturday, May 3, 2014

October, 2013 Conference Report

"These conferences are always under the direction of the Lord, guided by His Spirit.  We are not assigned specific topics.  Over weeks and months, often through sleepless nights, we wait upon the Lord.  Through fasting, praying, studying, and pondering, we learn the message that He wants us to give." These words of Elder Robert D. Hales, an apostle of the Lord, given in the opening session of this conference illustrate why I think it's so important to read and study and ponder the words given at these conferences.  "Oh how we need general conference!"  He said later in that same talk.  We do need conference.
Some of the highlights for me from this conference:
-This talk by Elder Hales about General Conference.  I marked it up like crazy.
- The Moral Force of Women given by Elder D. Todd Christofferson Two quotes from it:
"A woman's moral influence is nowhere more powerfully felt or more beneficially employed than in the home.  There is no better setting for rearing the rising generation than the traditional family, where a father and a mother work in harmony to provide for, teach, and nurture their children."
Elder Neal A. Maxwell:  "When the real history of mankind is fully disclosed, will it feature the echoes of gunfire or the shaping sound of lullabies?  The great armistices made by military men or the peacemaking of women in homes and in neighborhoods?  Will what happened in cradles and kitchens prove to be more controlling that what happened in congresses?"
- When I was raising my children, I used to say, "I wish someone would give me a list of all that I need to be teaching my children."  Well, now they have.  There's a marvelous, meaningful list of Family Home Evening topics in Sister Linda K. Burton's (love her!) talk, The Power, Joy, and Love of Covenant Keeping
- This may be the first time an opera is referenced extensively in general conference.  Elder Quentin Cook's talk brought a Verdi opera to life.  Way cool!!!
- To me, the earth-shaking highlight of the conference, though, was Elder Jeffrey R. Holland's talk, Like a Broken Vessel.  He addressed the issues of mental illness and gave thousands of people comfort and hope.  Thank you Elder Holland.

Statistics (simply to satisfy my own interest.)
References used in General Conference talks:
Book of Mormon: The highest with 151
New Testament: 125
Latter-day apostles:  This was the biggest change.  There were way more references from apostles than there ever have been before: 99
Doctrine and Covenants: 98
Old Testament: 53
Pearl of Great Price: 28
Literature: 27
Preach My Gospel:  Since so many referenced it, I decided to make it a separate category: 7
Other manuals and handbooks: 8
Hymns: 6  Boo!  Hiss!  This represents a decline.  Sad story.
Family Proclamation:  3

Now, a slightly different approach is how many speakers referenced each:
New Testament and Book of Mormon:  33 each
D&C: 32
Apostles: 27

Elder Russell M. Nelson had the most references with 78.

I received my May, 2014 Ensign today.  I can't wait to dig in and learn all I can learn.  Happy Conference studying!!!

2 comments:

Joan Morris said...

I love your book reviews and your conference reviews!

Pal & Hatty said...

Thanks for the review and the reminders!