Monday, May 5, 2014

My Story: Elizabeth Smart

My StoryMy Story by Elizabeth Smart

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I watched, horrified, along with the rest of the nation when the news reported Elizabeth was abducted from her bedroom. I followed the news day by day and listened to the news stories and interviews. I prayed for Elizabeth often while she was gone. I happened to have the television on the afternoon she was rescued and stayed absolutely glued to it. I rejoiced with her family and with the rest of the world when she was recovered. I was personally invested and wanted so much to read her story. It was difficult to read. I found myself hurrying through the pages because I knew the ending and knew this torment had a happy end. I am in awe of Elizabeth and her strength. I think the hero of her story is her mother. The things she had taught her daughter and her love is what got Elizabeth through that horrible ordeal, and helped her to recover afterward. Elizabeth has turned her tragedy into triumph by becoming an advocate and voice for children who are abducted, and by going on with her life and choosing to be happy. Her attitude is exemplary for all of us, in whatever trial we experience.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

Good review - I will add this book to my list of books to read. I am like you, I followed her story in the news and was so happy when she was finally rescued!

sara cardon said...

Elizabeth Smart is one of my heroes too. I think she's definitely defied the odds and truly shows the Atonement at work. I've been hesitant to read her book, only because I'm sure it's emotional and heart wrenching, but you've made me want to!