Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Giver

The Giver (The Giver Quartet, #1)The Giver by Lois Lowry

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Disturbing. This book is deeply disturbing to me. I just reread it, after years of remembering it as being disturbing. But, this time, I appreciated it so much more. It powerfully teaches what life would be like if it were devoid of agency. In the society described in this book, there was no hate or sadness or poverty or pain, but there also was no love or joy or happiness. Life just was. This was Satan's plan. It shows what life would have been like if he were in charge. There truly must be opposition in all things. That is the message of the book. Lois Lowry is a fine author and most deserving of the Newberry Medal she won for this book.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

Joan Morris said...

I too loved this book and have read it twice. These post apocalyptic books are all the rage now, think Hunger Games, Divergent, etc.