Friday, January 17, 2014

The Big Rock Candy Mountain



The Big Rock Candy Mountain The Big Rock Candy Mountain by Wallace Stegner

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


How can a book about four small lives feel so big? It’s probably a mistake to write my review just after finishing this book. Maybe I should give myself some time to gain a more objective perspective. But I’m afraid to do that. I know even now I won’t be able to convey the emotion I feel. Stegner’s pen is powerful and his ability to reach within, profound. He presents his characters so realistically and even objectively on the surface. But somehow he has the ability to help the reader really know them in a way you know few people. I even came to understand Bo, the father, though I never did come to like him in the whole 639 pages. One thing I know for sure is that I am inadequate to write a review of this epic story.
This book is the author’s autobiographical story of a family: a father, mother, and two sons. Bo (the father) is a dreamer and a hard worker, but lacks integrity and character. If I had to describe him in one word it would be selfish. It’s hard to like a totally selfish man. He lives a selfish life and even his death is a selfish one. His wife, Elsa, is a good person, and for some reason, loves this man and chooses to stand by his side. On one hand, I admire her and her integrity and loyalty. On the other, I feel sad that she lives her entire adult life not realizing that she deserves better. The story starts when the two are young and ends with their deaths. In a way only Stegner could make work, the story is told in third person, but from the perspective of all four of the main characters for different parts of the story. When it is their “turn,” the story is told from their perspective. I think that’s how the reader gets to know all four so well. Bo has a wanderlust and is always trying to stay ahead of the law, so the family story is one of moving and moving and moving. The boys are raised with no consistency or stability except in the love of their mother. Unfortunately, that isn’t enough, and three lives are destroyed and the author’s life deeply colored by his selfish father. I so wish there was a sequel that finishes the story of Bruce’s (Stegner’s) life. Is there such a book? I have loved all three of the Stegner books I’ve read: Crossing to Safety, Angle of Repose, and this one. Which Stegner book should I read next? Any suggestions?




View all my reviews

5 comments:

Ami said...

Big Rock Candy Mountain is my favorite book. Ever. And Stegner, my favorite author. I loved your review. There IS a sequel-- sort of. It's entitled Recapitulation. It's solely from the point of view of Bruce Mason as an adult, some 45 years after he left SLC. The reader gets closure as you wander through the sometimes difficult flashbacks that give Bruce closure. I think it's worth reading, but as I recall some of the "coming of age" flashbacks/content was a little difficult to read--just an FYI/warning. But, I was in tears on the final chapter. Really, his writing is so beautiful.
I think you've already read his best, but I also enjoyed The Spectator Bird. And, have you read any of his books about us Mormons? :-) The Gathering of Zion and Mormon Country are worth the read!
Thanks Kay! I always love your reviews!

Ami said...

Big Rock Candy Mountain is my favorite book. Ever. And Stegner, my favorite author. I loved your review. There IS a sequel-- sort of. It's entitled Recapitulation. It's solely from the point of view of Bruce Mason as an adult, some 45 years after he left SLC. The reader gets closure as you wander through the sometimes difficult flashbacks that give Bruce closure. I think it's worth reading, but as I recall some of the "coming of age" flashbacks/content was a little difficult to read--just an FYI/warning. But, I was in tears on the final chapter. Really, his writing is so beautiful.
I think you've already read his best, but I also enjoyed The Spectator Bird. And, have you read any of his books about us Mormons? :-) The Gathering of Zion and Mormon Country are worth the read!
Thanks Kay! I always love your reviews!

Ami said...

I have no idea how I posted that twice! Sorry!

Joan Morris said...

Great review as always. I need to finally read a Wallace Stegner book.

Kay Hinton said...

Thank you so much, Ami. I appreciate the suggestions. I guess I shouldn't have started with the best ones first! Yes, Joan, you should read Angle of Repose as a lot of it is set in Boise. Boise history for my history buff sister!