Friday, May 3, 2013

Up a Road Slowly

Up a Road SlowlyUp a Road Slowly by Irene Hunt

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I'm so sad that I finished this book. I love the characters and really miss them. That is the mark of a great book. The theme is growing up, but it also deals with death, poverty, alcoholism, mental illness, and, of course, love... mostly love.
When Julie is just seven years old, her mother dies and she and her brother are sent to live with their spinster Aunt Cordelia. Aunt Cordelia gives them structure and security, but is not warm and loving. We watch Julie grow up and live through her life's traumas and experiences with her, learning much about how to deal with our own. It is a very character-driven book, and each person nestles their way into the reader's heart. The book ends as Julie graduates from high school.
There are some powerful and wise excerpts in this book that are so thought-provoking and have the potential of being life-changing. I felt the wisdom of the author spoken through the characters in the book. I marked them and have already re-read them.
I highly recommend this Newberry Award -winning book to young adult and adult readers alike.




View all my reviews

1 comment:

Kristen Mackrory said...

I miss them too! It really was SUCH a good book. I was just talking about it again last night.