Sunday, May 5, 2013

October, 2012 Conference Report

I recently finished reading, then studying last October's General Conference talks.  It was such a great conference.  Historically, it will be remembered as the conference when the missionary ages were lowered: 18 for young men, and 19 for young women.
 I felt that an oft-repeated theme was family.  It seems our leaders are wanting us to strengthen our families.
 I've been reading, studying and reviewing conference for many years.  I found Elder Oaks talk, "Protect the Children," to be the most unusual talk I've seen.  He quotes many non-church experts (eighteen, to be exact) to show the great need in our society to protect and properly teach children.  It was really profound and a strong statement to the world of the need of society to protect it's children.
Another quiet "first" that wasn't mentioned much, but is very significant in this conference is the talk by Elder Echo Hawk.  He was sustained as a member of the 70 in March, the first Native American general authority in a very long time.  His is a unique and powerful voice to the Lamanite descendants of this generation.
We also heard from our new Relief Society presidency in the General Relief Society Meeting.  I appreciated their Christ-centered talks.  Our new presidency's focus is:
1- Understand the atonement
2- Cleave to our covenants
3- Unity

Favorites:
I loved Elder Craig C. Christensen's comprehensive talk on the Holy Ghost.  The footnotes contain a great list of scriptural references that teach about the Holy Ghost.
I loved Elder Ballard's talk, "Be Anxiously Engaged" where he encouraged us, "In your morning prayer each new day, ask Heavenly Father to guide you to recognize an opportunity to serve one of His precious children. Then go throughout the day with your heart full of faith and love, looking for someone to help. Stay focused, just like the honeybees focus on the flowers from which to gather nectar and pollen. If you do this, your spiritual sensitivities will be enlarged and you will discover opportunities to serve that you never before realized were possible."
Elder D. Todd Christofferson's talk to the priesthood "Brethren, We Have Work to Do" was powerful and motivational.  
I was profoundly affected by the talk by Elder Don R. Clarke on "Blessings of the Sacrament."  He suggested we write down what we thought about during the sacrament each week.  "If we properly prepare for the sacrament, we can transform our lives."  He also suggested that we memorize the sacramental prayers in our minds and in our hearts.  Taking that challenge was a most sacred experience for me.  
Tally of Resources Quoted or Referenced:
Book of Mormon: 170
New Testament: 149
D&C: 124
Apostles: 84
Literature: 53
Old Testament: 31
Pearl of Great Price: 13
Hymns: 9
Proclamation on the Family: 5
Preach My Gospel: 3

The talk that used the most references was Elder Anthony Perkins who quoted or referenced 79.  Second was Elder Marcus Nash (he's a lawyer- he knows how to document everything!) with 62.  Elder Quenten L. Cook was the apostle with the most with 35 references.  Why do these statistics matter?  They don't.  It just interests me.


I express my gratitude for general conference and the powerful influence it is in my life.  


3 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

Thank you for a great review! I need the reminders and I enjoy your tallies of statistics and topics covered!

Joan Morris said...

Love it! Thanks so much for doing this. You are such a great example to me of reading each reference and footnote.

Kristen Mackrory said...

Thank you for the synopsis. I so enjoyed reading it and being reminded of the things we had been taught.