Monday, March 11, 2013

Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and me, Elizabeth

Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley and Me, ElizabethJennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley and Me, Elizabeth by E.L. Konigsburg

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I really like E. L. Konigsburg. I like her writing style. I like her ability to create children characters that help you remember what it was like to be a child. I really like her books. This is the story of two “misfit” girls who find each other and eventually learn how to relate normally to one another and become friends. It’s an interesting journey getting there. Both of the main characters use anti-social defense mechanisms to cope with their harsh social world. Through their friendship, they gain confidence and learn how to relate to others and eventually to each other in a more normal way. It’s a journey many, many young people travel. I think this book’s greatest value is that other adolescents might read, then recognize these symptoms in their peers. . . or even themselves. My only question is why “Hilary Ezra” wasn’t included in the lengthy title of this book? He plays a lot bigger role than William McKinley or Macbeth. I guess it’s too late to change it now!



View all my reviews

3 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

Sounds like a very interesting book. Great review! I love that bouquet of flowers on your header - it is gorgeous - hydrangeas are my most favorite!

Joan Morris said...

I read this book long ago and I remember really liking it. Good review.

Shonna said...

I completely agree about the title. I definitely think Hilary Ezra was a much bigger character than those names in the title. I wondered the same thing.