Saturday, March 9, 2013

Seven Miracles That Saved America

Seven Miracles That Saved America: Why They Matter and Why We Should Have HopeSeven Miracles That Saved America: Why They Matter and Why We Should Have Hope by Chris Stewart

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I’m not a history buff. I like to blame it on Miss Baldwin, my high school history teacher. She was nice, but certainly didn’t light any history fires in me. So reading a book like this is a bit like reading a text book for me. I’m glad I read it, but it’s a bit of a chore. I have to set reading goals and make myself accomplish them. This book has a lot of historical facts and dates and, well, history, but it’s interspersed with fictionalized stories of someone living in the time being discussed. That helps to internalize it for me. The premise of the book is that there are seven times when God provided miracles to save America- His promised land. I think I could name a few more than seven, but these are the seven discussed by the authors:
1) Christopher Columbus
2) Jamestown
3) The Battle of New York in the Revolutionary War
4) The Constitution
5) Abraham Lincoln’s prayer that turned the tide in the Civil War
6) A series of miracles at the Battle of Midway that made us win; thus winning WWII
7) The assasin’s bullet missing Ronald Reagan’s heart, thus preserving him to be so instrumental in bringing down the iron curtain.
I really did learn a lot about each of these events and to appreciate how God truly did preserve us a nation. I needed to read this right now. I’ve had a feeling of hopelessness about our country and this renewed my hope. But , I have to admit, I’m ready to read a mindless, fluffy novel next. Any suggestions?




View all my reviews

4 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

Another great review Kay! I love your insights and the clear and understandable way you summarize each book. Keep the reviews coming!

Joan Morris said...

Being the history buff that I am I loved this book. I just finished my first Anita Stansfield book about the sinking of the Titanic if you want a fluffy book.

Kristen Mackrory said...

Love the new look of your blog and the picture at the top. Where did you get those gorgeous flowers.

I don't think my comment to the previous post worked, but you did a beautiful job capturing what the book was about. And I agree, Hillary Ezra would have been a much better choice than William McKinley. I don't even know who he was!

Kay Hinton said...

Aren't the flowers pretty? We got those when Daddy conducted that ring ceremony last fall. That color of pink is my favorite color of all the colors in the universe- the color of the writing.