Monday, March 18, 2013

Practice is Nine-tenths


Ralph Waldo Emerson's mantra:  Practice is nine-tenths.  This, at first reading seems incomplete; but a little reflection suggests that Emerson is deliberately giving us a chance to finish this idea in terms of our own experience, while recognizing the major contribution of sustained, repeated work.  "Practice makes perfect" is another way to say it, but I like Emerson's better.  It allows that 10%  comes in other ways- often Divine help. "Perfect" may never be achieved, but there is great value in the effort- in the practice. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go and practice the piano.
 To see other mantras, click here.

2 comments:

Kristen Mackrory said...

I like this. There is still hope for me in the many things I am still practicing. :)

Pam said...

Ditto what Kristen said! Repetition makes all of the difference! Good post.