Friday, February 22, 2013

Being George Washington

Becoming WashingtonBecoming Washington by Glenn Beck

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Today, in the Senate chambers, Kelly Ayotte, a woman Senator from New Hampshire will participate in a tradition that has continued every year since 1896. She will read George Washington’s final address in the senate chambers on his birthday. Probably very few senators will even be there to listen. Mostly pages will hear the remarkable and prophetic words spoken in 1796 by one of the greatest men who has ever lived. I finished this book about Washington a couple of weeks ago, but, in honor of him, waited until his birthday to post my review.
I liked the premise of the book. It was not just an accounting of the events and character of the man; other books are far better at presenting the history. The author’s intention is that we all look inside at what we can do to be George Washington ourselves and make a difference in our world. That is worthy of some contemplation, I believe.
I thought the book started a little slow, but when I got to the Benedict Arnold part, I couldn’t put it down. I couldn’t help but notice that Arnold and Washington were similar in desire at the beginning. But George married Martha and Arnold married a selfish social-climber who I’m sure pressured him to do the unthinkable- according to Benet’- to sell his soul to the devil.
I loved getting to know George Washington and to appreciate his willingness to put aside his personal interests and desires and do what was best for our nation. I wish he were here now. Enough said.




View all my reviews

4 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

Interesting post! I have been wanting to read this book and I am so glad that there are still those (even in the senate - who knew?) that recognize the wisdom and example of a truly great man! Good review Kay!

Joan Morris said...

As you know I love history and I really liked the book. Another good book is "Killing Lincoln" by Bill O'Reilly. I read them both back to back and loved them.

Kristen Mackrory said...

I wish he were here now too.

I just watched Ben Carson's speech at the National Prayer Breakfast. It was so good, though President Obama, sitting right next to the speaker, didn't seem to think so.

Pam said...

Our nation has taken a major left turn from this founding father's ideas and leadership! Good review, Kay!