Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"You is kind. You is smart. You is important."

Aibileen, in "The Help," tells this to  Mae  each day so that she'll remember.  It's especially moving when she says it to her just after she's been fired and has to leave.  She gets down on that little girl's level and tells her to always remember, "You is kind.  You is smart.  You is important." What a great mantra.  What a great thing to repeat to yourself every day. I see this as a "fill in the blank" mantra.  Choose three adjectives or characteristics you want to instill in yourself and repeat them to yourself several times every day. In the last conference, President Monson suggested three things people need to understand about themselves: You is beautiful, you is valued, you is worthwhile.  Sounds pretty similar to Aibileen's!  Other suggestions:
You is energetic
You is self-disciplined
You is compassionate
You is happy
You is loving
You is calm
You is friendly


You can see you can personalize this to help you achieve your goals and improve your character.
And isn't that the very purpose of a mantra?


6 comments:

Pal & Hatty said...

I love it! We all need a good mantra!

Joan Morris said...

Great thought! Thanks for sharing!

Michelle said...

So sweet. These are good phrases for me to remind myself of throughout the day.

Kristen Mackrory said...

I should be using this mantra with my children too! I'm going to have to ponder what adjectives to use.

"You is calm". Hmm. I like that one for me. :)

Pam said...

I love your mantras that you come up with, and I especially like this one.

Shonna said...

This is a great idea! Is The Help a movie or a book?