Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Uncle Ron's Funeral

Behind in blogging?  Ah, yes!  Christmas (and after Christmas Keynote and Choir prep.) does that to a person.  But, poco a poco . . . I'll catch up.    The Wednesday after Thanksgiving we got a call saying that my Uncle Ron had passed away in Boise and that the funeral would be Saturday.  So we took a very quick trip up to Boise for the funeral.   We left on Friday and met up with Patty, Pam, and Roger for lunch in Provo.  Joan and Tom graciously let us break and enter their home and stay there, even though they were still in North Carolina with family.  We attended the viewing on Friday night, then my siblings and spouses  (minus Tom and Joan, of course) went to dinner at Jaker's and literally closed the place down. It was so nice to visit and catch up- especially with John and Cindy who we don't see very much.   The funeral the next day was a beautiful tribute to a fine man and father.  Each of his children spoke and did a marvelous job.  The music was beautiful, too.  It was so nice to see many of my cousins.   It's difficult to describe that feeling of family.  It is a joyous thing and we all felt it, I could tell.  I think I visited with every cousin and spouse except for one of the wives.   Good, good people.   We picked up Tom from the airport on Saturday night and then attended his ward at 9am before our long trek back.  We got to take Patty home, so enjoyed her company as far as Elk Ridge.  Family- it's really what it's all about!
Me with sisters Patty, Cindy, and Pam.  We missed you ,Joan!

Aunt Gary and the cousin in that family that is my age: David

Most of the cousins that were there with the three surviving members of  my Dad's generation in the front: Aunt Grace, Aunt Gary, and Dad's sister, Aunt Nedra.
Back row:  David, Todd, Joe, Scott, Me, John Eric
2nd Row: Pam, Christy, Randee, Skp, Diane, Patty
Alex and Carol were there, too, but not pictured.
There are a lot of good people in this picture.

John, Scott (the new speaker of the house in Idaho!) and dear Aunt Nedra



2 comments:

Joan Morris said...

Thank you for sharing the pictures from the funeral. I am so sad I missed it. I love those times together with our family.

Pam said...

I come away from Gabrielsen gatherings so humble and so proud at the same time of our heritage and the Gabrielsen name. It was so wonderful to chat with our aunts and cousins and catch up a little. I also loved our own family's time together - lunch in Provo and dinner in Boise. I love our family!