Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My Favorite Things : The Fitbit

Can something that is only 2" long rule a mature adult's life.  Yes, yes it can.  Let me introduce you to my fitbit.  My sister Joan introduced me to him about a year ago.  He's ruled my life since.  I do posts about my favorite things, and I'm including this among those.  It's one of my favorite things; but it's also one of my least favorite things.  I think they call that a love/hate relationship.  This little device is a despot. It is a taskmaster.   It counts my steps each day and when I push it's button, it says "I like you" and "Ready to rumble?" and such.  It records each and every step, and if I'm good I can make the flower grow.  It really motivates me to move.  
It tells me the time.

It tells me how many miles I've walked today.

It tells me how many calories I've burned . . .

, , , and how many flights of stairs I've climbed.

And most important of all, how many steps I've taken today.
Through GPS, it records and keeps track of all my data on my computer.  Once a week I get a report card.  That's motivation! Each morning, I clip it on me and go. Actually, in the interest of full disclosure, I sleep with this little guy- just in case I get up in the night.  Hey!  I want credit for every step!    This has been somewhat of a challenge in the pool, as it is not waterproof.  I've figured out a way:
I put it in a ziplock bag and attach it to my glasses.  People stare and suppress smiles when they see me.  They think I don't see, but I do.  One day, when I went to water aerobics class, I could see a group of ladies on the other side of the pool clustered together, looking at me and talking.  Finally, one of them swam over and asked me what that was hanging from my glasses.  I explained.  She said they'd been guessing and that she had thought it must be a music device.  "I know she sings in a group," she'd told the others.  "Do you have no pride?" you're asking.  I guess not.  Yes, I really go to the pool looking just like this- disheveled hair, no make up, with a bag hanging from my glasses.
I learned one day how completely I've let this little guy rule my life.  I was shopping at Costco.  Costco is a BIG store, and I always get lots of steps on Costco days.  I was about half-way through my shopping and, to motivate me to keep going, I went to check my fitibt, only to discover I had forgotten to put it on!  AHHHHHHH!  I nearly melted in a puddle right there on the Costco floor.  "I'm taking all these steps for NOTHING????"  I was devastated.  Somehow I sucked it up and resignedly finished my shopping trip.  When Ken got home that evening, he found me sitting in a chair, hitting the fitbit, trying to get it to think I was taking steps.  It didn't work.  But then I came up with a brilliant idea.  He was planning to go on a  walk (he often goes on a de-stress/ exercise walk right after getting home from work)  Lightbulb!   I clipped the fitbit on him as he left for his walk, and so HIS steps counted on MY fitbit.  The little devil (the fitbit; not Ken) never knew the trick we played on him.  And I'm pretty sure Ken got more steps on his walk than I did at Costco.  Brilliant!  But then my grandson, Nathan, got me back.
When the kids were here visiting, I got worn out.  I just didn't feel like exercising.  It was extremely hot outside.   Nathan, who is ALWAYS full of energy seemed like the perfect solution. I clipped the fitbit on his shirt and told him to run around the house.

   Each time he came around, I  gave him ice water. 
                                    

  Then, he said he was just too tired.  "Grandma, you go!  You do it!  YOU run and I''LL take pictures of you"  Only for Nathan would I run around the house in 110 degree heat.  I clipped it on and started.
Pretty soon that little boy who was "just too tired" ran up to me, giggling about the trick he'd played on me.
Pretty proud of himself!

  
So, I introduce you to one of my favorite/ least favorite things- the fitbit!

5 comments:

Ming said...

Jeff just got a fitbit for his bday a couple of months ago and he too is obsessed! The kids love it too. They ask him all the time to see his flower. Jack likes Jeff to go up and down the stairs over and over so he can see the flower grow. haha I guess it's doing it's job and getting people to move!

Joan Morris said...

Yo go girl!

Pal & Hatty said...

I also have a kind of love/hate relationship with my Fitbit! It does motivate me to do more than I really want to do which is good, but I get so annoyed with it at times like today - it didn't record the stairs I climbed - if you have ever climbed up our basement stairs, you know you want the credit!! Oh well, I tell myself - tomorrow is another day and another chance to get my 10,000 steps and 10 floors! I absolutely love your solution to swimming with your Fitbit!!!

Michelle said...

Man, there are some good stories that come with this fitbit! I really like the idea of this thing. You are such a good writer. I too love your solution to the water work-out problem. I think it is very clever.

Kristen Mackrory said...

I love that you tie a bag to your glasses so that you get your steps!! And I can just picture you hitting your fitbit trying to trick it into counting steps. I just love you. I'll have to show this to Nathan. He will love it and love the memory of it.