Thursday, April 26, 2012

Freak the Mighty

Freak the MightyFreak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

For our online family bookclub, we read and discussed this sweet little book this month. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's about an unlikely friendship between two misfit boys. Each fills needs in the other. It’s a page turner with many themes, including: literacy, death, bullying, judging others, handicaps, and friendship.
This book was well-written and easy to read. I was so glad to read that many junior high school English classes use this book as required and encouraged reading. It's a great book for kids to read. They’ll learn about being a true friend, about the importance of literacy- reading and writing, how to not judge or be cruel to others and that there is a reason people act the way they act- Don't judge, and maybe most important of all how to lift and build others to their potential! I think this also would be a great read aloud for families.


View all my reviews
Our online bookclub:






4 comments:

Michelle said...

I agree. This is a wonderful book! Everyone should read it!

Shonna said...

FABULOUS page-turner, make you laugh, make you cry kind of book! I think it actually might be my new favorite.

Pal & Hatty said...

I'm so impressed with your techno skills - an online book club! Wow! You always know about the best books!

Sarah said...

I love the pics of your screen shots. What a fun thing to have a family book club. I've added this book to my list!